Thursday, March 01, 2007

hoop & stick, baby

I am very happy to report, I have been a writing maniac this week. If I could be so prolific every week, I would write a book every few months. HA! It feels good, I tell you. Page after page, and the occasional fugue state when the characters kind of knock you out of the way and keep going. Bliss. I am going to try to keep that going, like a hoop with a stick, you know, in old movies? I'm going to chase that little hoop along, wearing knee socks and a pink dress, and not let the hoop slow down and wobble and fall. (That's me in the illustration above -- look at me go!) I have a history of wobbling and falling. I'd like to think we all do. Heck, I don't want to be the only one failing to live up to my expectations! Nothing irks me more than a bright bubbly soul without neurosis, who sits down humming to write, and then writes and writes and writes like it's playtime, then goes off, still humming, and makes dinner or invents something or discovers a cure or rescues a kitten. Ha ha. Actually, if that sounds like you, my compliments, you madman. (Or woman.) I wish I could do it too!

Oh, and by the way, I've just posted the first few chapters of Blackbringer on my website. You can read them here if you want.

In other news of the household, Jim stayed up drawing until 5:30 this morning, I had a dream about exotic, flying cockroaches with antlers, and soon, very very soon, we will have a shiny new kitchen, complete with black and white checked floors. Can't wait!

Oh, and today is World Book Day! Swing over there and check out the survey of books you can't live without. A fair number of my own faves are on there: Pride & Prejudice, Lord of the Rings, and His Dark Materials. Oh yeah, and that wee little book about the boy wizard!

9 comments:

Deirdre said...

You must be in a happy, happy writing place this week. It sounds delicious. I'm going to read every word of your preview when my eyes aren't so tired. The first paragraph gave me goosebumps - it's so good.

Frida World said...

Yay for the rolling hoop (but if it never wobbled and fell that would mean something profound about physics and the universe and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't like it).

Thank you for posting the chapters. I'm going off to read it right now. Today is my day off (Friday) and my wish list for today included reading something delicious and fantastic and far, far from my work worries.

I started my morning with Margaret Atwood's "The Penelopiad" and now I'm very, very ready for some faerie magic.

x

Anonymous said...

Hi Laini,

All my neurosiseses are sitting here enjoying your blog. They are thrilled that you posted your first few chapters of Blackbringer, but I am outraged--I am supposed to be drawing and NOW I'll be reading instead.

I'm thrilled you are in a writing state, though, and am already looking forward to your future books.

And I'm glad Jim is in a drawing state, too!

Tomorrow is World Blueberry Buckle Day (in my world, but you know you are welcome in my world!)

Amber Lough said...

Laini,

Yes, another comment from the girl you don't know! I HAD to write though - I read the excerpt and it's delicious, in a cherry pie kind of way, like eating two spoonfuls and then being told you have to wait months until you can eat the rest.

I've been a writing fool too, but only when I've gotten the chance, which meant nothing got written yesterday. Today, however, I've got a sitter for two whole hours!

I'm reading _The Minister's Daughter_ right now, and if you haven't read it, I suggest it. There's a bit of faerie magic in it, too. It's one of those books that is seeping in doom. I know something bad will happen to the MC and I wince through each chapter...

Dharma Kelleher said...

Sometimes our muse sings and sometimes she just belches the alphabet. We all just do the best we can and try to remember that even in the worst of times, we'd rather be writing than anything else.

Right now, I'm working on my media kit which is a challenge. I can talk about the dynamics of love and fear, resentment and forgiveness til the cows come home to roost (they do that in my Dharm-iverse). But when it comes to writing about myself, aaauuughh!!! Oy!

Peace,
Dharmashanti

Come out to where the Blogosphere meets the Dharm-iverse at http://dharmashanti.blogspot.com

Alex S said...

You are not only a writing maniac but a maniac in many other ways as well. I can't WAIT to read the latest story and so do hop to it on the pronto please. I just went to the World Book Day site- so neat to see His Dark Materials chosen- yay & yay again!

Kim G. said...

You inspire me lady. (And I love the hoop and stick picture. I remember doing that as a kids with hula hoops.) I had a few good days of writing this week but I'm so easily distracted - it felt very disjointed. It does feel good though to see the black letters fill the pages and know they came from that place inside me where they push and shove to make it to the front of the line and be let out. Can't wait to read the excerpt. I'll save it as a reward for when my current writing project is done.

madelyn said...

Hello happy girl!

Laini, i went to Chapters and tried to order your book but they
said it is not out until June -

:(

i will read your links and your
hoola hoop has inspired a post
in me -

hugs!

Rella said...

I've just read the "peek" into your first book and it glorious!! I can't believe I have to wait until JUNE!! Tell me it's not so!!! Your work is fabulous...and Lani's Ladies..well, in our second cafe which is all about art.....your cards are going to be in place......... :) And I never would have found any of this if it were not for blogging!!! Congrats and I am sure we will be hearing more from you. ~ Rella