Thursday, March 29, 2007

My fingers are furious with me


(I made these letters for Alexandra for Christmas -- these were my crafty interlude this year. I made four words, I think, and had such fun with them.) I'm currently having a major craft craving, but a specific one -- my desire to learn to crochet has become an imperative. I passed up a chance to start a class on tuesday, and all evening long my fingers were furious with me -- they'd had enough typing, for goodness sake! They wanted to be off and crocheting! So I'm starting Saturday. The problem is I don't want to have to learn, all clumsy and messy, I just want to be able to do this:

and this:

And I want to be able to do it AT ONCE. These are both from Posie Gets Cozy, one of my favorite favorite blogs, for both pure eye candy, decor coveting, and also reading Alicia's very funny, wonderful words.

Yesterday evening when I left to pick up my father from the airport, I realized I had not stepped out the front door since early monday morning. {!!!} Jeez. What a hermit! I had been out the back door, but to be honest, only to let the dog in and out. Ulp. I've been writing voraciously, loving it, but I think we might try to get out of the house for a little date soon!

Since I am lurking indoors so much, I thought I'd show you my indoors. Here are a few pictures of the recently remodeled kitchen -- love the floor!


The bench and kitchen table above are where I wrote Blackbringer, though the floor was a lot uglier then. Here is a peek through the door at the bench where I write now:

And here are some little friends who live in the kitchen:

I love whimsical sculptures and marionettes and ornaments of strange little characters. They make me happy. Well, there is another day of peevish fingers ahead of me, writing and writing and not crocheting (chill out, fingers, you don't even know if you'll like crocheting yet. Give me a break!)

15 comments:

Alex S said...

Now I feel guilty that we didn't start the class the other night, but maybe it was meant to be, maybe you would have hurt your finger somehow if we had taken it Tuesday night and since you often say inspiration comes in the actual writing its very possible that the finger that all the inspiration gushes through was the finger that would have been terribly injured. See, I was looking out for you! (And I LOVE my LEAP letters very, very much-thank you Creative Dynamo!)

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love all the color.

Claudia said...

Love that kitchen!!!
You will get the hang of crochet, no worries! You are going to be one dangerous yarny once that crochet hook gets moving!

Jone said...

Your writing room is an inspiration for me to redo my room this summer. Crcoheting is a blast? Left-handed? I can help. I crochet left handed.

Deirdre said...

Cute kitchen! Someday there'll be another book about where writer's write and there, somewhere in the middle, will be a picture of your table and bench with a bit about classic tales.

You'll like crochet. It's easier than knitting (no pointing things to get hurt with) and goes faster too.

Amber said...

I love the letters you made. And I love love LOVE all the color in your home. It just looks like YOUR house. Beautiful! The floor is super great, too. ;)

:)

Annie Jeffries said...

Love your kitchen so filled with color and whimsey.

Tinker said...

I am eating up the pictures of your kitchen like they're M&Ms! Color - my eyes are starving for color the way your fingers seem to be starving for crochet.
I bet your fingers are going to love crocheting as much as my eyes are going to love a remodeled - colorful! kitchen - only your fingers are going to be happy probably much sooner than my eyes, since we can't seem to get our act - and our plumbing together at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen is delightful. What cheery colors to wake up to.

Unknown said...

i love the colour on your wall... and i love the picture above your bench... and i love you bench... and yes, your floor is such fun!! i'm jealous that you're learning to crochet! i asked my grandmother one day to teach me to crochet. she told me that i didn't need to learn for she would crochet for me everything i need and everything i don't... and now, i live all the way over the ocean from her. sigh. one day!

Writer Bug said...

I don't know if it was reading this that inspired me yesterday, but I picked up a knitting project I hadn't touched in a while. Have fun with the class!

[a} said...

I heart the quirky figurines. They're so Enid Blyton-y!

madelyn said...

Your house is amazing and the colors
captivate me -
what is that buttery rich yellow color?

I love your delightful little ornaments...

:)

Rampian said...

The kitchen looks terrific! I love checkered floors. What a delightful place to cook delicious things.

Alessandra Cave said...

Wow! Your creativity is everywhere! I love all the colors and playfulness!