Saturday, March 22, 2008

Jelly beans and Mexico

I lurve jelly beans. I made myself just a little bit sick on these "fruit punch" beans today after lunch. Aren't they pretty?

We're not doing anything really "Eastery" this year. I did dye four eggs, just one each for me, Jim, and my parents, and I bought jelly beans, and made up a cute Easter basket for my mom -- Easter baskets, as far as we're concerned in my family, are just Christmas stockings in the spring! I just love Easter baskets and Christmas stockings! We're not doing the usual big meal or anything either. We're just having my parents over for an abelskiver brunch and then we're going to the Portland Art Museum to see the Degas/Lautrec exhibit. Should be fun! Happy Easter to all of you; I hope the bunny is good to you.

And, guess what! I got the Mexico tickets! Yay! We're going to Chiapas for about a week and a half, and I'm so excited.

Chiapas is the southernmost state of Mexico, bordering on Guatemala. Here's how the Lonely Planet describes it:

"Chiapas is a green jewel tucked into Mexico's southernmost corner -- its hot emerald jungles sparkling with beautiful Maya ruins and waterfalls, its cool, mist-wrapped highlands the redoubt of the most traditional and unreconstructed of contemporary Maya peoples. Here, the Maya bequeathed us the stunning architecture of jungle-shrouded Palenque, Yaxchilan, Bonampak, and Tonina. . . At its heart sits the tranquil highland town of San Cristobal de las Casas, rich in colonial architecture and surrounded by almost medieval Maya villages, but buzzing with a 21st-century international culture scene too. . . Eastward lies the steamy Lacandon jungle, Mexico's largest rainforest, home to a huge animal and plant diversity and countless jungle rivers and lakes. . ."

The author of the guide declares his favorite trip in Mexico is "beautiful, mysterious Chiapas."

Has anyone been to Chiapas? Can you tell us anything?

8 comments:

Gwenda said...

You'll get it in time if you paid an expediter. And this comes from someone who has discovered that it is possible to renew a passport in 24 hours (if painful)!

You guys'll have a blast, and you deserve it. xxx

Heather said...

So. Jealous.

I'd give anything to be on a beach right now, white flabby body and all!

Alex S said...

Yes yes, I was born in Chiapas but whisked away seconds after birth to begin training for the Eskimo Wars I would eventually be expected to take over for the Farthers when I took the throne on my fifth birthday. But I do have a few memories even though I was just minutes old (and my eyesight wasn't fully developed yet). It was very green and purple. I remember "flying piranhas in the sky" (do you know what that reference is from Fatty?), a lot of ants, McDonald's on every jungle corner, and very tasty rodents. I ate one rodent as a parting gift while on the helicopter launching pad that was as big as Leonard Nimoy. But I haven't been back since my actual birth day and I'd like to.
p.s. It is going to be 85 here in LA today! eek!

Amber said...

I saw a trip on the Travel Channel and thought it look lovely and wonderful. Not too touristy. I hope you have a great time! I will expect tons of pictures so I can show Kory and get him to take me. ;)

I also looooove jelly beans. It is really rather sick. Have you had the Lifesaver ones? Oh jeez.

:)

Q said...

Starburst jelly beans are fabulous.

I've never been to Chiapas, but I have been to tropical Mexico and can describe it in two words: hot and humid.

In other words, I felt like I was about to steam like broccoli. Take very light clothing and an umbrella.

Laini Taylor said...

q: Actually, much of Chiapas is highlands and is said to have the pleasantest climate in Mexico; the town where we're staying is in the 60s and 70s year around. Descending into the jungle will, of course, be warmer!

Q said...

It sounds like Quito! I've never actually been there, but I met a woman from there and she said the weather was "bella" year-round. It makes me want to go there.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Enjoy your trip! It's sure to be relaxing.