Sunday, March 23, 2008

Delicious!

Yum. Brunch! We don't usually put much energy into breakfast foods at home; it's all about cereal in our house. But it is so much fun to make aebleskiver now and then, and to make the table look cute. I bought an antique aebleskiver pan a few months ago, and this was only the second time I've used it. I started early because I thought I might need some practice (you turn the little dumpling-like thingies in quarter turns, using a knitting needle). But it all went perfectly. Besides the aebleskiver, we had baked scrambled eggs and some sausage. I had never tried baking scrambled eggs before, but I just read about it in a magazine and thought I'd try it. Basically, you prepare just like scrambled eggs, with milk, salt, pepper, a little melted butter, but then instead of cooking it in a skillet, you put it in a casserole and bake in the over at 325, for about 30-35 minutes; I added parmesan to the top at about 25 minutes. They were good! And it keeps the stove top clear if you're doing other things, like flipping aebleskiver with a knitting needle.

Anyway, yum. Oh, and there was chocolate too. Look at this gigantic Italian egg from my mom! (What about Weight Watchers???)

Cute Easter basket:

And monkey butt powder. No, really. Monkey butt powder:


After brunch we went to the Portland Art Museum to see the exhibit "The Dancer." It's a collection of work by Degas, Toulouse-Lautrec, and an artist I had never heard of called Forain, who also did a lot of drawings of the Paris ballet in the late 1800s. This very famous sculpture was there:
It was a lovely day, followed -- as all lovely days are -- by a nap. Have you heard the Spanish proverb, "How lovely to do nothing and then rest afterwards!" Yeah.

10 comments:

GreenishLady said...

That all looks so wonderful! (And the jelly beans in that last post, too!)... Well, everything except the monkey butt stuff... whatever that's about! Love the hair! And the table! And the basket! Jealous about the Degas exhibit! Lucky you!

Heather said...

Ohhh! That must be the same exhibit that was in Vancouver a short while ago! I love Degas, he's one of my favourites! Happy Easter and enjoy that yummy chocolate egg, it looks delicious.

Monkey Butt Powder - heeee!

Debbie Barr said...

That egg was HUGE! Glad you had a lovely day... and nap. :)

Q said...

Is that egg hollow or solid? Because if it is solid, you're going to need a hammer and chisel to get chocolate off with any dignity...

Anonymous said...

i believe naps are heaven on earth. i've been napping since i was 2 week old. guess we have more in common than the name. –laini a.

Amber said...

That table is beautiful. I love how you live with so much color. I can't wait until we own so I can do whatever colors I want!

:)

Anonymous said...

Your table setting is too cool! You're inspiring me - next Easter, I'm going for jellybean colors on the table, instead of pastels.
Our Easter basket tradition is kind of a spring version of the stockings too - though we have yet to see Monkey Butt Powder show up in either baskets or stockings - or an Easter egg quite as big as that one. That chocolate egg is enormous - it looks like there's enough there for all of us in bloglandia - shared chocolate means less calories *hint, hint* =)
It's good to see your mischievous smile.
And while I'm playing catch-up - Mexico! Woo-hoo for you two - enjoy!

Katie said...

You two are just the cutest, funnest couple in the world! What a delightful fairy tale table complete with a dumpling I've never even heard of :-)

Looks grand!

aahh and monkey butt power... oops! I meant "powDer." ha!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Luv all those colors!!

What a cheery brunch table.

Patry Francis said...

I love the colors of your blog, your house and your life! How can such colors not produce miracles?