Saturday, June 19, 2010

Did you know strawberries could be RED in the middle?

Ha ha. Every year it surprises me, when strawberry season rolls around and we get good, ripe Northwest strawberries instead of those giant, alien, white-inside things that come on trucks from god-knows-where. Strawberries can be RED all the way through! And soooooo sweet. Yesterday we went picking on Sauvie Island, which is an island of farms in the Columbia River. In past years we've blinked and missed strawberry season, but not this year. Yum. Clementine enjoyed herself.

Like dingbats, Jim and I forgot to bring a baby carrier, so we took turns holding her on our hip while we picked, which was actually pretty easy. She was a totally jabberwocky the whole time, calling across the fields to people, and speaking her own language in such deep earnestness, it was like she was trying to convince us of something. And isn't her hat THE BEST? It just came in the mail from the lovely Lori in Amsterdam, and comes from the Dutch department store Hema, to which I have never been, but love nevertheless. Lori sends the most insanely cute stuff for Clementine -- so much cuter than the cost-equivalent in the US! It's like inexpensive baby clothes in the US are required to have little sayings on them like "daddy's little angel" or "cutie pie" or whatever, which is fine, but really: totally inescapable. Not so the Dutch stuff, plus, the fabric. It's awesome. Can't wait to someday get in there MYSELF to shop!

What else? Nothing else. Oh wait, yes. One weird thing. I am developing a permanent furrow of wrinkled skin on the inside of my left forearm, from holding Clementine (exactly as in photo above). Her weight pulls the skin into a long series of puckers, and they don't ever go away now. Ah, age. My skin doesn't have the elasticity to unwrinkle itself anymore, sigh, and carrying those 20ish adorable Clementine pounds are taking their toll. At least I'm not having wrist cysts and weird shoulder nerve damage, like Jim is. Now, I'm not necessarily recommending having children young -- there are many, many good reasons to wait, like getting one's writing and art careers going -- but age has its disadvantages too. Like a wrinkled forearm! A small price to pay :-)

10 comments:

ann foxlee said...

ooh, is it strawberry time already?? I'll have to get out to Sauvie Island before they're gone!

mmmm.....fresh strawberries....

ps, the hat is super adorable!

Natalie Whipple said...

We are enjoying our red-all-the-way-through strawberries too! They are Dino Boy's favorite.

sharonwrote said...

I know the wrinkled forearm well.... thought I was the only one to be so afflicted. After carrying my two kids around, always in my right arm, I thought the wrinkles would never go away. You'll be pleased to know that they did. My kids are now 10 and 6, and my right forearm is no more wrinkled than my left (which isn't saying much. hah!).

Laini Taylor said...

Thanks, Sharon! PHEW!!! :-) (I never heard anyone mention it before either. First time I noticed it I thought, WHAT THE ...?

Heather said...

My back definitely took the brunt of the last kid. I am quite sure your arm skin wrinkles look adorable on you! I hope Jim can resolve his wrist and shoulder issues.

That's one sweet little strawberry you have there!

storyqueen said...

We have red strawberries here in Carlsbad CA, ,too.....SOMETIMES....and then sometimes they are those white centered things that smell kind of make the car smell like garbage if you have a long drive home from the store.

Clementine=adorable.

Shelley

Anonymous said...

Don't call yourself a dingbat. You're doing the best you can dingbat.

Catherine Denton said...

This is sad...I DIDN'T know they could be red the whole way through.

tone almhjell said...

Mmmm! The best benefit of a cool climate, strawberries from heaven. We have them here, too. And wrinkled arm notwithstanding: you are wonder woman, carrying 20 pounds around like that. Don't you love how strong you are these days? I cleaned windows for hours yesterday, and it was nothing!

Vijaya said...

Oh, yum. We've been enjoying these as well. Clementine looks so eager to sample one.

As to having babies earlier or later, I've discovered (belatedly) it's best not to interfere with Mother Nature. Thankfully I've been blessed with two children.