Monday, November 26, 2007

It is all very well to be able to write books, but can you waggle your ears?*

This is me, finishing Silksinger. (not yet -- over the next few weeks, I hope.) See how relaxed I look? I know, I'm one cool cucumber. AND I wear a corset to write, like a real lady. Okay, so: not really. But I am a writing fury right now. FINISHING.
FINISHING.
What a glorious word.
I want my birthday present to myself this year (I'm almost a Christmas baby) to be: a finished manuscript! Last year I had a wonderful languid holiday month of making cookies and decorating and giftwrapping. I love all that, but this year, sadly, I won't be able to do so much. It's all about Silksinger. You know how there are times when you realize how much you are capable of, and you rise to the occasion and overwhelm yourself with your own inner strength? I'm hoping this is one of those times!

Speaking of real cool cucumbers, check out Agatha Christie at work.
Doesn't she make it look easy?

(Quote in title by J.M. Barrie)

P.S. My editor called today to let me know we have an offer for the Vietnamese rights to Blackbringer. How cool is that???

And check it out: Liz at A Chair, a Fireplace, and a Tea Cozy, just reviewed Blackbringer. Thanks, Liz!

13 comments:

Jim Di Bartolo said...

That's clearly a posed pic of Ms. Christie because I heard it from a highly reliable source that she wore green polka-dotted fleece pants. Hmm... VERY suspicious!

Smooch!
Husbles

Alex S said...

I've never seen a photo of Agatha Christie before! Do you think she always dresses so formally to write? I guess she takes the job very, very seriously. You take the job seriously too but you also pop a lot of Oreos and Fritos while you tap away at the keyboard. I remember the time I dropped in on you and you had empty bag after empty bag of Ding Dongs strewn all about your feet like little plastic beggars who had collapsed all around the floor.
And Silksinger is FANTASTIC! You have nothing to worry about. If possible its even BETTER than Blackbringer so finish it up and bake some holiday cookies!

Alex S said...

Oh and CONGRATS on the Vietnamese rights! Thats so awesome!!!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah! I'm so happy and pleased for you--almost done AND vietnamese rights. i can't imagine what a thrill! I'm happy for myself, because I'm imagining reading it. Make sure Jim draws more pictures. That was awesome, too.

Do you really have polka dot fleece?

Left-handed Trees... said...

Congrats! Oh, and keep going--keep going--keep going--keep going...
Love,
D.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that quote, though sadly I cannot waggle my ears...
I bet Jim's right - Agatha had to have dressed up for that photo - I'm sure she must have had a pair of comfy pajama pants, as well as a pair of fuzzy slippers that she threw in the closet, right before the photographer showed up.
Good luck with Silksinger (I can't wait to read it) and congrats on the Vietnamese rights...Wow - how cool is that!

Marianne said...

I think the corset would be a fairly bad idea, blocking off the flow of oxygen to the brain and what have you, but otherwise I don't think it matters what you wear - Silksinger will obviously be brilliant (firstly because Magpie is super cool and wouldn't be caught doing anything less than wonderful and secondly because Alexandra says so) I for one can't wait (and can't quite accept how long I may indeed have to wait.

You will finish Silksinger just as I finish up my two years here - each of us on Christmas eve this year will be celebrating the completion of these big adventures. I'll certainly be toasting you.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so this has nothing to do with your truly entertaining blog! I want to buy your boxed Christmas cards....The Diamond Angels...I saw them on Botman on Sunday and went to buy today and do not see them........Is that possible? Where can I get them?

Amber Lough said...

Congrats on the Vietnamese rights! Now they can read your book in the jungle!

I'm writing like mad, too. Should we race? First one done with her first draft gets gooey brownies. How 'bout that?

Anonymous said...

As I read it somewhere, Ms. Christie figured out her whole plot while walking around her garden, THEN went into her office and wrote the book. Sigh.

Congrats on finishing!

rilla jaggia said...

Ha ha ha. YES! That's exactly why I choose to work from home... SO I CAN SIT THERE IN MY FRIGGIN CORSET AND THREE PIECE SUIT! HAH!
Woe to the photographer who ever takes a picture of me writing ;0

Heather said...

Believe it or not, I CAN waggle my ears! I'll have to show you one day!

Pet Guilt said...

I can waggle my ears (independently of each other, even), but i can't write a book...guess we all have our special talents. :-) Can't wait for the next one....

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/mahlu002/oneday