Saturday, October 21, 2006

Fork-feeding the dog

Jim took Shiloh to the oncologist the other day so I could go to the library downtown and do some research for new design projects. I love the downtown Portland library:

It was overcast and puddly out, with drifting leaves, a perfect autumn day. After a few hours looking at books and old photos, I walked over to Flying Elephant's for a lovely lunch of their famous tomato-orange soup.
I got carried away by the fabulous exotic chocolates they were selling there and bought a handful of bars from Theo, the "first roaster of certified fair-trade organic cocoa beans in the US." And look how cute the labels are! I tried the coconut-curry bar, and let me tell you: Yum! And it's really curry-y and spicy!





After that, a few of my other favorite errands: Powell's, and Utrecht art store, with a brief pass through Anthropologie and Whole Foods, where I picked up some roasted vegetables and stuff for dinner. Here's a picture of that neighborhood:


And lastly, here's a picture of Shiloh in the car on the way to the oncologist.

She has one week of treatments left and she seems to be doing great! However, she has decided that she wants to be hand-fed now. OR. . . fork-fed. That's right. Jim figured that one out. Shiloh likes to eat off a fork! I put food in her bowl this evening and held the bowl right out to her, and she would not eat from it, but stared at the fork in my hand and would only eat when I fed her bite by bite with the FORK. How silly is that?

20 comments:

Deb R said...

It sounds like a wonderful day. It cracks me up that Shiloh is demanding someone fork-feed her now! Way to work the people, Shiloh! :-D

Alex S said...

I love Shiloh! I wish she had thought of this years ago!

Annie Jeffries said...

Wow, that recipe for tomato/orange soup looks divine and perfect for the fall.

kelly rae said...

oh man, the yellow trees by the library are amazing. i am missing those colors!

and could shiloh be any cuter?

Amber said...

Gosh, Portland is such a cool city.

I think that is cute about the fork! LOL. Such a beeauty-full doggy, too. I'm so happy it is going well!

And I agree with you about the mom episode. Oh, that made me cringe! I wonder if you will like his collection best. I liked Uli.

:)

Anonymous said...

I love that she's developing etiquette - however, we could be in real trouble at our house if all of our critters picked up on that, so keep it under your hat, er, collar there, Shiloh, please?!
:-D

Anonymous said...

(sigh)...My old library! Oh, how I love the main library in downtown Portland. I especially loved it on dark, rainy afternoons...hazelnut latte in hand as I browsed the stacks...

Anonymous said...

oh thank you for that trip into Portland it feeds my soul!

and I am SO SO SO glad Shiloh is making good progress--- that photo shows her good energy!

~bluepoppy

Anonymous said...

I hope your darling Shiloh continues to make good progress. What a beautiful doggie! :)

And I adore that neighborhood too...I'd love to go awandering there soon.

Rebecca Mongrain said...

Ahhh, my friend's dog was spoon fed like that earlier this year when he was sick. He's so much better now and back to chowing down his food without a spoon. It's sweet though.

HoBess said...

So glad to hear Shiloh is doing better ... love the new ladies!

DJPare said...

Beautiful dog!
And good for her - she's too refined to eat out of a bowl. :)

Deirdre said...

I once had a dog, also named Shiloh, who loved it when I sat on the floor and fed her slices of apples and carrots one at a time. She was very polite. Oh, the things we'll do for a good doggie!

Claudia said...

I have never had a dog, don´t they all eat with knives and forks(!). I love those chocolate wrappers, little artworks.

andrea said...

I can't beathe I can't type - the other day in Fremantle I bought one of your "ladies" when I saw it - I just had to have it in my life - my husband hates seeing me spend money - he's okay If things just "appear" in the house! Anyway I was willing to risk his wrath - he kept saying as I was paying for it - you don't need it, you could make it (the way a guy says that about anything he doesn't want to pay for) but I kept going and now a little part of you is hanging in my home - bringing a smile my face everyday!

thanks for sharing your creativity with the world!

take care
Andrea
in Australia
I should mention your opening site page is my computer wall paper - but I only just realised this minute that you are the maker of my "lady"

Ali Ambrosio said...

Ah, the things we do to keep our animals happy and healthy. I home-make cat food for my 2 kittens each week (chicken, organ meat, rice, carrots, egg) and end up spending more time and money on their nutrition than I do on my own.

I'm loving your ladies and your work spaces from the post below.

Left-handed Trees... said...

"It was overcast and puddly out, with drifting leaves, a perfect autumn day"...how this description made me smile!

Alex S said...

Its high past time for a new post. Post shortly or I will begin removing the deck piece by piece and reconstructing it over at my place! (oh And I'm taking the bench and armoire too)

jennifer said...

Laini,
When our cat Snappy was sick a few years ago, he only would eat jarred baby food..chicken pate`.. off a spoon.. really silly but he put on weight , survived, is still doing well and eats on his own now! :)
Funny Shiloh...

Patry Francis said...

Shiloh sure is looking good!