Saturday, October 28, 2006

Cupcakes, sushi, bathsalts, books, and all good things


Yesterday I really needed a day of cupcakes and books and seeing Laini's Ladies hanging in shops, and that is exactly what I had, with Xegbp, who is in town to visit Alexandra. They met in Peace Corps in Bulgaria 8 years ago, and Jim and I met her when we visited. "Xegbp," by the way, is what the rough transliteration of her name looks like in cyrillic characters, so if you read Russian or Bulgarian, you might be able to figure it out. We had a lovely afternoon!

This is just a quickie post; Jim and I are having an all-hermit all-work weekend, starting as soon as I post this, so I'd better hurry. So much work to do! It's been a mildly bad week with little pieces of irritating news trickling in, but there was good stuff too, like news back from the Frankfurt book fair that there was a lot of [potential] interest in foreign rights for Blackbringer! And getting several new Laini's Ladies in the Signals catalog. And going out for Brazilian food for my father's birthday and eating lots of meat served skewered on swords!

The photos above are of my favorite furniture store, Cargo, in the Pearl District, where Xegbp and I went and roamed and giggled at the hot pink velvet bust of Chairman Mao. This store always makes me want to live in a loft with exposed brick walls and 20-foot ceilings, filled with Indonesian antiques and huge paintings, with sculptures and puppets and little seating areas around laquered tables, with potted bamboo plants, lutes hanging on the walls, mermaids painted on the bathroom ceiling. . . and maybe with free-roaming tortoises?

And below is a photo of the divine mini-cupcakes from Saint Cupcake, which I discovered thanks to one of my very favorite blogs; it's a blog that creates a window into a tranquil little world of crafts and food and color, that makes me want to MAKE THINGS like cakes and wool flowers and little plush puppies. By the way, could there be a more welcome revival than the revival of the cupcake?

Happy weekend to everyone! Eat a cupcake!

11 comments:

Darlene said...

Mmmm simply divine, delicious and delectable...have a properous weekend love,

xoxo Darlene

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i hope you are having some moments for naps and laughter and good food and warm drinks in the midst of all your work.

Deb R said...

Mmmmmm...cupcakes. Those look yummy. And pretty! Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day.

Fiona said...

I want o go to tha tshop too. We have nothing like that around here.
Good luck with the work weekend but do chill a little too.

Kristy said...

There's something about a cupcake -- so much more...more -- MORE -- than just a slice of cake. So I was particularly glad when my daughter, just yesterday, asked for cupcakes for her birthday over cake.

I'm glad to hear you, too, have a particular affection for them. Once again, a little bit of evidence that what showed years ago on Yawl pt really was a hint of our future "selves".

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes look so very very yummy! And the way you described a loft with the brick showing, etc. is somewhat of what i see in my head sometimes, except i like your decorating better! Thanks for sharing!

Claudia said...

I see you in that loft! I´m off to make some cupcakes - check these recipes out:http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/birthdays/cupcake-recipes.htm

Left-handed Trees... said...

I hope your weekend was productive and lovely!!!

meghan said...

hello my friend! My email is acting up - AGAIN but I wanted to say that you'd better get some more of those because I am COMING TO SEE YOU - yippeee yahoooo! Cupcakes, books, a surprise, and you guys - SIGH!!!

xoox

paris parfait said...

Ah, cupcakes, shopping, good friends and yummy food - bliss!

xegbp said...

Laini,

I had a wonderful day visiting with you on Friday. The pictures turned out great. I am already missing Portland as the weather is freezing here and there is no Powells or Cargo. I might nave to consol myself with a cupcake.