Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Gloomy day craft noodlings

Gloomy gloomy rainy day, perfect Portland writing weather! It stays twilight-dark all day long and leaves sail past the window like parade confetti. I'm drinking my gallon of morning coffee with eggnog instead of milk in it, which Jim and I do from the moment eggnog first hits the grocery store in October to the last sad carton on the shelf in January. Yummy eggnog coffee.

I've been idly thinking of something crafty I can make this season. Last year I made nuthin, being in the last brain-dead throes of finishing draft 1 of Silksinger. In previous years, the holiday season would always come upon me with a little twinkling notion of something I wanted to make and I would go to the craft store for supplies and then get completely lost in a new obsession for a few blissful weeks. It's how Laini's Ladies first came to be, and the paper dolls that led me to create the Dreamdark characters, and there was mosaic one year, and then, these guys:



But this year. . . what? I dern't kner. If I knew how to sew, I would have more options, but I don't. Not a jot. And I've sort of sworn off knitting and crocheting because they were too much of a time-suck and like to tempt me away from writing. ("Laini, come and crochet and watch a Jane Austen movie. It's so much easier than writing. . .") But if you do sew, and you're looking for crafty projects, one of my favorite blogger's first book just came out! I'm going to buy it even though I don't sew, because it's so pretty:
Stitched In Time by Alicia Paulson, aka Posie Gets Cozy. There's another marvelous sounding book that's just come out, by Jane Brocket, called Cherry Cake & Ginger Beer and it is all recipes for the foods in classic children's books. Rice pudding and scones and stuff. Doesn't that sound wonderful? A great gift for a children's book lover!

Totally off the subject, you all know how I feel about Proposition 8, and if you care about it too, on one side or the other, here is Keith Olbermann's take on it. Passionate, articulate, intense. Love this guy.

12 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

I wish I *could* crochet well enough to do it while watching Austen movies. I'd crochet one of these beauties -- can you imagine that with, instead of beads, some kind of little charms? Eventually I'll get there...

CHERRY CAKE & GINGER BEER sounds fantastic! (But, obviously, not together.)

Laini Taylor said...

Hi Tadmack! I should clarify that I can barely crochet and I can't do anything fancy at all, like that amazing necklace (wow). Scarves are about it for me, and not interesting ones either. But I know that if I try to learn more, I'll get obsessed by projects and do that instead of writing. Kind of like why Jim doesn't play computer games. Too dangerous!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laini - I'm supposed to be writing NanoWri whatever O - but right now I'm taking a 'procrastination break' and popped in to see some favorite blogs - and HURRAY! Obama won - but so very sad about 8 - though it seems there might be some hope. On other procrastination breaks, my Christmas project is making corn bags (that can be heated or cooled) in fun fabrics - even though I don't really sew either! But these are super simple to make, so I can just do one in a few minutes, then go back to writing. It sort of helps clear my mind to switch back and forth, 'cause it's something I can do with my hands easily, while still THINKING about the novel.
Hurray for you joining in NaNoWriMo! I hope it's not too forward to ask - can I add you as writing buddy? You've been on my favorite author's list on my page there, since last year's write-in so it's kind of exciting seeing you doing this crazy month with us too. I am afraid to even look at my word count right now - I know it totally sucks - but I'm just going to keep plunging on...OK, time's up - 'procrastination break' is over - gotta get back to business. Good luck to all of us!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!

Anonymous said...

Laini, I can't sew either, but my mom can and it just comes natural for her. My grandmother knits and crochets. Guess I didn't get the good genes! :-) I do hope you are able to come out of your creative "slump." I just love your creations!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

Laini - this monologue on Prop 8 totally touched me and summed it up for me. Thx for posting it. I hadn't seen though I love Keith.
Shelli
http://faeriality.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

thanks Laini - for sharing all that you share here! that Olbermann - you just wanna give him a hug, non?

love your range of posts - the hat photos (and commentary) amidst the politics was particularly delightful.

keep on!

Ro Bruhn said...

Love your crafty people they're very cool. We're also waiting for the movie Australia to hit the screens, they say they're still deciding which ending to use.

Kim Baise said...

Coffee with eggnog I haven't tried yet..sounds great! I'll have to check out Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer....mmmmmmmmm :)
This clip on 8 is amazing and I plan to forward it to some dear friends. I wish people would step out of their boxes already and follow their true heart's nature...LOVE
Your little holidaybutterflies are beautiful.

Alex S said...

Have you ever made that famous Wichita egg nog omelette?

MotherReader said...

I'm excited about the idea of eggnog coffee. Can't wait to try it.

I get crafty at different times, but my results are nothing like your beautiful ladies.

Victoria said...

Keith has so beautifully and passionately articulated this. Bravo to him. I wish it could be played from roof top to roof top so that all could hear this message. Sadly those that need to hear it most, won't, as they are watching Fox news.