Friday, November 21, 2008

ephemera

We were at the movie theater last night (to see James Bond), and there was this line of teenagers snaking from one end of the theater to the other. They were sitting on the floor, still with three hours to go before. . . the first showing of Twilight! I wonder how they liked it. It was filmed just outside Portland, which is funny because it's not that gloomy here. It's not like we never see the sun. I mean, a sparkly-as-diamonds vampire would get noticed! But it is pretty country. In the trailer when they're up in the tree? I'm guessing that's the Columbia River in the background.

Anyway, happy Twilight weekend to you fans!

As for writing, today I think I'm going to attempt Holly and Jolie's 5000-word challenge! With post-its. Oh, it's kind of funny, after my post yesterday about "narration" vs "dramatization" and not feeling like I was really conveying why the "once upon a time" thing was helpful to me, I saw on Jolie's blog that Holly had said this draft was "about the macro, not the micro," and I think that says, in six words, what it took me many more to not quite say! *slaps forehead* Thanks, Holly!

Okay, and for something completely gratuitous and, er, disgusting. . . I'm pretty much one to say that if an artist calls something art, it's art. I mean, I'm not saying it's good art or bad art, but I have a broad definition of "art". THIS, however, does not have a place in my very broad definition of art. This is just plain disgusting. This "artist" from Chile served his friends meatballs cooked in his own body fat. AAAAAAGHHHHH! NOT ART. NOT ART!

15 comments:

Alysa Stewart said...

question about your definition of art: if the artist does not call it art, is it not art?

Laini Taylor said...

Hi Alysa! Can you give me an example of art that the artist says is not art?

What I'm trying to say is, I'm not really conservative in the definition of art. But I don't know about this.

Alysa Stewart said...

Oh, I dunno. I guess I was thinking of an artists sketches or papers or something that the artist considers rubbish but that others might contest is art.

Liana said...

Echoing your "AAGGGHH!"
TOTALLY not art. EW.

ANYway...I understood what you meant in your last post about narration vs. dramatization! It was a really enlightening distinction for me! :)

tanita✿davis said...

DUDE.
Traumatized. Me.

Debbie Barr said...

My jaw literally dropped. A fly may or may not have flown into it in that time. I would rather that than human flesh, though.

Ew ew ew!

However, that does remind me that I need to go read "Cannibalism in Cars" for my creative writing class on Monday...

Cuppa Jolie said...

Yay for stickies. Let me know if it works.

And...ewwww! Not art, just ick...nor are the fish and iceberg, just mean.

Lexi said...

eurgh........

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't knock it til you try it. I better its really delicious. I remember once having filet mignon baked in bat fat, and then the dessert was sauteed in kitty fat and I wondered to myself at the time, "I bet homosapien fat is mighty tasty too!" There is a time and a place for everything, for all food, and for all art in all its edible forms. I just wish I had known the lad and been invited over for the feast.

Thinnychoochoo

Laini Taylor said...

Thinny, probably ALL fat is delicious. How about human-fat donuts? Yum.

I still remember in Fight Club, how they made soap out of liposuction fat and sold rich ladies their own fat back to them as pricey soaps!!!

Anonymous said...

i'm throwing up a little.......

gastondelesdandrouxsamerica said...

This is my first visit to the site but couldn't leave without a comment about Portland. I was there for two or three days some years ago - it was late October - and days were simply beautiful. Living in New Orleans, one learns to appreciate bright, clear and cool days. I pulled off the road into a shopping center parking area simply to sit with the windows down to enjoy the fresh cool air. It is my best memory of Portland.

gaston delesdernier

Amber said...

Ewwww, that last thing just made me feel sick. Whhhhhyyy??

Anyway, I snuck off and watched Twilight last night. And it was so funny to listen to the teen girls all sighing and moaning all over. It was like it was the 60's and they were seeing the Beatles! And then there were groups of them in their PJ's, CAMPING out on the floor, and seeing ALL the showings, one after the next. LOL! So. Cute.

I have to say, I liked the movie a little better than the book. I didn't think so at first, but they NAILED it with casting of Edward. And Bella is so much less pathetic and self-hating. (if a little flat, still better). And I liked the visual, and shooting. And they created great tension between them... more romantic than I found the book.

:)

holly cupala said...

Yes! Great to have you on board! About the macro/micro, in a way, I kind of got that from you - the jungle flyover versus the hacking and slashing at the ground level. It's really the same thing in my mind.

holly cupala said...

Btw, I'm really excited about your talk in Seattle in a couple of weeks - my hope is to be almost finished with this first draft by then, and I think a pink-haired push out of the nest will be exactly what I need.