Sunday, August 10, 2008

new Cafe Press store -- celebrate kidlit!

Yesterday I was designing a logo for the Kidlitosphere Conference, and while I was at it, I made a few designs to promote the cause, close to my heart, of grown-ups reading kidlit.

[About that, remember my recent rant? Well, here's another, much shorter rant: I am generally very sheltered from the snotty attitudes of the "grown-up reading community" but lately I have been picking up little barbs and jibes here and there -- such as this little one, embedded in Jennifer Reese "D" review of Breaking Dawn for Entertainment Weekly: "This series has always been grounded in Bella's human voice, which is imbued with adolescent fragility and unwavering passion for Edward, which, however goopily described, has a kind of winsome purity rare in young-adult fiction." Eh what? Whaaaaaa???? Breaking Dawn aside (I'm not contesting her review, only this stupid phrase) -- winsome, pure narrative voices are rare in YA? Jennifer Reese, how much YA have you read? I truly feel that the most memorable, wonderful narrative voices come from YA, and plenty of those are winsome and pure -- anyone want to share some favorites? I wouldn't mind putting together a list of great voices -- for my own education as well, since there are so many books I haven't read yet. Favorites?]

Anyway, off the rant, back to the art -- I have created a new Cafe Press shop with the following products and more. All proceeds go to support the Kidlitosphere Conference. Come over and shop! Proudly declare that you read kidlit!




Also, here is the logo for the conference. There are a few items with this on it:
This is just a sampling of the shirt styles available. Go HERE to see the full selection.

Also, stay tuned for Jim's design, forthcoming probably by tomorrow -- it's a very fun illustration, a little less girly than these, so be sure to come back and see it!

CHEERS!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could go to the Kidlitosphere Conference.It sounds like I'd have such an amazing time! But there's just the little, insignificant fact that I'm a bit young. :-p Durn....
Anyway, I love that yellow bag that reads, "I ♥ children's books." It'd be a perfect school book bag for me! Kay, well I better finish this up. I've got some kid-lit shopping to do!

tone almhjell said...

Okay. I'll wait for Jim's stuff first, but I'll get in line with this.

Jen Robinson said...

Thanks, Laini! I love the logo. I ordered some coffee mugs, and was completely unable to resist that yellow messenger bag. I do believe I'll be bringing it to the conference.

Stasia D said...

So cute Laini! I will be there in spirit, and proudly sporting a shirt at school this year!

Q said...

Ooh, I really like that black and white one!

Holly said...

Ooh, I like!

Anonymous said...

Very sharp logo for the conference! I'm really looking forward to going.

It's one week to the day after my Black Best karate test, so I should be easy to recognize -- I'll be the limping guy with all the bruises. ;)

Jon, Children's Writing Web Journal

Jamie said...

Kid lit has an awesome champion in you!

Alexandra Saperstein said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexandra Saperstein said...

also, i need you to call the hotel and ask how many donkeys and elk I can squeeze onto the stage. But seriously, please get this up on the site asap- (Use the photo of me doing the handstand on the stegosuarus's back if you can find it anywhere.)

Alexandra Saperstein said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tone almhjell said...

Make sure you take antlers into account. (The elks', although if the donkeys and ponys are magical, who knows.)

Unknown said...

mama likey.

tone almhjell said...

I've decided that I want the yellow messenger bag. Mostly because it's adorable, but also because it's about making a statement, and 'kidlit' probably doesn't ring many bells for people I pass on the street here in Norway.

Anonymous said...

When is the deadline to sign up for Kidlitosphere? I really want to come, but I'm still working out the financial/travel details...

Vivian Mahoney said...

Awesome designs!

Heather said...

Wow, I love that yellow bag! That is awesome! And I love YA fiction too...sometimes it seems so much more honest because the writer isnt thinking about meeting some love scene quota or trying to sound deep and blasse. Oy! I just finished The Lace Reader...not YA but a wonderful, haunting book. I highly suggest it!

Alexandra Saperstein said...

jjj