Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Another T-shirt design (and another book is underway!)


Look! Here's Jim's contribution to the kidlit T-shirt designs. I love this one -- it's so fun. You see? If aliens, vampires, and pink ninjas can read kidlit, so can you. See (and buy) shirts HERE. [remember: all proceeds go to the kidlitosphere conference.]

So, what are you all doing this week? I am nervously starting a new book. It's at the love/wonder/terror stage. It's all new and shiny and full of possibilities, and there's the tiny voice somewhere in my brain telling me I won't be able to pull it off. You know how that goes. Shut up, stupid tiny voice. What do you know? Nothing, that's what! I've done it before, and I'll do it again. And again. And again. And it's not just me that can do it. So can you. And you, and you. If you really, really want to. Believe me: you can. Not this story, though. This one's mine. Oh yeah, and if you've got a cool idea for a novel, write it now before somebody else does. That does happen, you know. Your muse might get tired of waiting for you. Right now she might being making a lunch date with another writer, getting ready to give them your idea. Seriously. Write that book. As Jane Yolen would say: "Write the damn book." That's all you have to do!

"What you have to do and the way to do it is incredibly simple. Whether you are willing to do it, that is another matter."
-Peter F. Drucker

I've been doing some research, spent part of the afternoon watching a documentary, the rest of the afternoon brainstorming plot ideas. I've been bursting to write this book for just over a year. It was last July that I was sitting poolside in Los Angeles with Alexandra (we were in the shade, being neither of us tan-monkeys). She was studying for her psychotherapist license, I was fleshing out this idea and wishing I could start writing it AT ONCE. Which I couldn't. Because there was this book called. . . ehh. I don't want to say. You all know the book. It's all I've blabbed and whined about for the past year! And you know what? I did it! I wrote that one! It's done. It wasn't always fun (though often it was), but I always knew if I kept writing it, it would get written, and it did. It really is that simple when all is said and done. A simple matter of many long days of work and frustration. Just keep writing and the book will get written.

Hey, who's watching the Olympics? Since childhood I've been an Olympics fan. It's the only time I ever watch sports, and I love them. How awesome is this kid:
This was the qualifying round, not the one that secured the US team's bronze medal last night -- that one isn't up on youtube yet. But wow! His name is Alexander Artemev and he was an alternate who didn't even have a chance to test out the equipment before he found out he got to compete -- and then he went up and did that. I've been up so late watching every night. I think I'll probably be at the gym in the evenings this week, because the treadmill is a very good place to watch the Olympics. Think I'll go now, before the women's team final starts. Ciao!

17 comments:

Deirdre said...

We've been watching bits and pieces of the Olympics every night - love it. There's nothing like that heart-in-my-throat, proud wonder of the Olympics.

Every time you write something about writing it inspires me to keep going with my story. Scares me to death, but makes me more determined to see this through.

tone almhjell said...

New book! Cool! Can't wait to hear more about it! And what do mean, pull it off? Are there stories too great to be written? I don't think so. Our storytelling and words are so flexible, nimble and strong, they can reach around whatever you need them to, if you have the patience to stretch them.

And if the story can be written, are you up to it? Laini! Don't forget 'Sleepers there were none.' Yes, that was you, not some strange entity commanding your fingertips. Such music, sweetie :)

Anonymous said...

AHHH I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!!! : ) I've never really liked watching them until this year, and I pretty much live for them! Did you see the 4X100m race that Michael Phelps competed in????? I was jumping up and down, screaming at the TV. Woke everyone in the house up, but the USA won!!! haha! In your face you French (can't think of an insult worthy enough)! *Finally takes one long gasp of air* Yeah... I like the olympics.

~Lainey Ru~

Laini Taylor said...

Alexandra & Hunter, I am glad you are having so much fun with joke comments! You would have had fun making crank calls the other night with my 12-year-old niece! Ah, but crank calls have been spoiled in the age of caller ID, and the boy they were calling kept calling back.

Sorry to delete you, but I have the power, mwa-ha-ha, and I en't afraid to use it!

Anonymous said...

GASPEH!!! A new book, you say?! Fascinating.... What's it about? Wait...is it the third Dreamdark book (which if memory serves me right you said was to be called Rathersting, but my memory doesn't normally serve me too great) or just a brand new book that's been bugging you for a while? Can't wait to learn more about it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Argh, I think blogger ate my comment. I hope it gives you a tummy ache, blogger!

What I SAID was...yay, shiny new book! And I love the way you write about your real, messy, POSSIBLE process so much!

Candace Ryan said...

I love Jim's design! Here's to hoping I can get my rear in gear and get up to Portland for the conference.

Anonymous said...

So do these kidlit designs come only in bags and tees? Is there an adult underpants line coming out anytime soon?

Laini Taylor said...

Dear Anonymous,
I'm sure that underwear could be arranged. Cafe Press does have some thong styles. The thing is, you need to send them a xerox of your tush so they can fit you properly. Would that be a problem?

(On the off-off-off chance that "Anonymous" is not Alexandra, the answer is: yes there are underwear styles at Cafe Press, but we are not offering kidlit underwear.)

:-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. No, I'm not Alexandra, just a lover of your blog. I will contact Cafe Press about xeroxing my buttocks and faxing it over to them. Its complicated though, because I actually have three buttocks so not everywhere will custom produce for me but I'll try anyway. Thanks Laini.

Anonymous said...

To The Triple Buttockster,

I feel for you. I don't have triple buttocks but I do suffer from Vertical Buttock Syndrome. Almost NOone makes pants - or undies- for that matter for people with my affliction. I mean, yea, it makes me taller, but its still a challenge having vertical buttocks in a horizontally buttocked world.

Anonymous said...

Adorable tee design!
New book trail... How fun! Enjoy, enjoy!! It sounds like you know how to show that evil naysayer voice who's boss---good goin'.

Amber Lough said...

I'm so glad I read these comments... the TBA (Triple Butts Anonymous) has heightened my self-confidence, which has fallen the larger I've gotten.

As for the conference---I wish I could go! Jim's illustrations are great, by the way. The alien looks particularly cuddly.

alexandra saperstein said...

Laini,

My friend Hunter has had nothing to do with my various and typical silly postings and comments. Hunter isn't even aware of your blog. As I told you unambiguously the other day, Hunter is my imaginary friend! Do you get it now? Anyway, do you really think that such an exemplary specimen could possibly exist in the real world? NVL (not very likely)!!!

S R Wood said...

Laini - That's exciting that you're starting the next book. I think it's good that it's a little scary -- where would we be as readers if authors just casually slumped into yet another book? I think trepidation and doubt ... well, they're just part of the process. A mysterious process at that.

Anonymous said...

You can do it, Laini!
Just let the power of the Olympics help you write the book.
You'll get a gold medal and break eight world records!