Monday, August 04, 2008

Look at my Magpie

First of all: look at the beautiful illustration of Magpie that my wonderful husband did for me. (It's still in progress, he says.) Isn't she lurvely? Pretty but intense, like the huntress she is. My Magpie. Funny how she feels so real to me. Aren't I lucky to be married to an illustrator who can do such things? (Look how different this is from the illustration he's working on today!) During the last week or so of revisions I had this (and my new Blackbringer paperback cover (also by Jim), which I'm not sure if I'm allowed to show yet) open on my desktop behind my manuscript doc, so I could look at it and get inspired. I want to have a big poster made of this for my writing room. Thanks, sweetie!

Second of all: this morning I hit 'send' on draft 3 of Silksinger. Yay! Yippeeeeee!!

And then, minutes later, I raced off to go to a Weight Watcher's meeting, because, you know, writing does not make you skinny! It was during the writing of Blackbringer that I first lost 25 pounds and met my "goal weight" and that was such a tremendous year for me, because I a) finished my first novel, and b) lost the weight I wanted to lose. Those two things had been at the top of my New Year's resolutions list so long I'd stopped writing my resolutions down, but that year (2005), somehow I did both. It was such an empowering stretch of time. Wonderful! But. . . times change. 2008 hasn't been a great year so far, with some big life things that have happened, and I've been so wrapped up in this book, and so anxious, I really haven't been focusing on my well-being too much.

But I want to. So, now I will try. Starting a new book is a much pleasanter place in life than wrapping one up. I am filled with all the possibilities of this new creation (which as of now exists only in my head and as notes in a notebook) -- it's still all star-dusty and golden. Of course, it's not like I'm *done* with Silksinger -- I will have a HUGE celebration when that day truly comes. This is not the end, just a landmark. I'm sure there will be another draft. . .

[faints]

21 comments:

Stephanie Perkins said...

I am so proud of you!!! YAY!!!!!

Even though it's not THE END the end, I hope you and Jim party hard tonight!

(And Weight Watcher's? You are kidding, right? Because you are totally gorgeous.)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful illo! Congratulations on being able to hit that 'send' button.
Wishing you lots of joy in all your new endeavors - may this next year be a much happier one!

Q said...

Pardon me while my jaw DROPS at your husband's skill.

tone almhjell said...

1. I love the new Magpie. I mean, that is not just a drawing of her, it IS her. She looks a little more grown up now, and my heart goes out to Talon who has to look into those eyes.

2. Third draft done! That's great! Judging from your blog, you've done a tremendous amount of hard work these past few months, and you must promise me to be sufficiently proud of yourself. Take five minutes and think about it, Laini! Then give yourself a hug!

3. Okay, so one thing I'm doing when I get back to Oslo is treating my body better. I don't worry about weight so much these days (and I'm not convinced you need to either), but I do worry about being winded for no reason. So I'm going to move about more. Go bicycling! Walk up hills! Play soccer! Maybe we should help each other?

Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or does this Magpie look a lot more like you than the last one did? I really like the old cover, but this picture is even better. It's intense and luscious at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Yay Fatsorella!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!! Why didn't you call me???? This is such amazing news!!!! Lets set a date to reach our final goals and then go to Anthropologie. Once there, I will let you treat me to anything in the store that I want. In return, I will buy you one item that is no more than two dollars and fifty cents. ! Seriously, I am so happy and relieved for you Fatty. I'll talk to you manana at the Yoyo Loco Fiesta- can't wait!

S R Wood said...

Congratulations on sending off draft 3! I have to say that reading about the process before the book is published makes it harder to wait to read the real thing, not easier. And the Magpie illustration looks awesome. She is not to be trifled with, methinks.

Enna Isilee said...

AH! I LOVE that picture of Magpie! I love seeing her in full color (rather than that blue-ish shade she has on Blackbringer, though that cover is great!).

Good luck with your weight-watchers! I've been trying to lose a little bit of weight, but I only seem to lose it in certain areas where it doesn't need to be lost! *sigh* such is life.

P.S. Silksinger is FANTASTIC!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it! love it so, so much! Jim's art never ceases to amaze, and I've always admired his talent. This Magpie is brilliant, truly brilliant! :-D
Once I tried to mimic his artistic skills...it didn't go so well. I suppose I've been stuck in the genre of anime art for far too long.
Ha, well, you're so lucky to have him as your illustrater. He's the best!

Liana said...

Congratulations on Draft 3, Laini! I hope there won't be too many more (and...after all your hard work, I doubt there need to be!)
Also, treating yourself better is SO key, so I hope you are able to do that in any and all ways you see the need. :)

And of course I love the illustration- so intense! Her eyes really grab you. Jim is truly a master (as are you!)!

Anonymous said...

The illustration is utterly splendid! The colors are inviting, her expression mystifying. Laini, you are beyond lucky to have an illustrator husband; you are supremely blessed to have a creative partner. Yay for the both of you for the opportunity to explore your passions individually and cohesively.
Congrats on sending out draft three; I'm sure it's a masterpiece!

Amber Lough said...

Well, I guess we already knew Jim was a genius, but this puts it right out there in the open.

As for the previous post (ridiculous advances for silly writing): the world is just plane strange. It's why we write about it, right? :-)

Amber Lough said...

Oops. I meant "plain," not airplane.

Vivian Mahoney said...

I am in awe of Magpie! I LOVE her intensity, her beautiful intelligence and dare I say, the color of her hair! Yay for brunettes!

And congrats on darft #3!

Elise Murphy said...

I heart Magpie. She is unspeakably gorgeous.

I keep telling myself that when my partial gets picked up I'll head back to Weight Watchers. Um, hmmm, I probably shouldn't wait that long because they might need a forklift to pull me from my living room when it's time to do an author visit.

Jim Di Bartolo said...

I just wanted to pop in and give a humble and VERY appreciative THANK YOU (!!) to everyone who's said such amazingly nice things about my Magpie work-in-progress. You all are SO generous and kind :)

Warmly,
Jim

Erin said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL picture. How cool is it that a fantastic writer like you said just happens to have a husband who's an equally fantastic illustrator?

Erin said...

er, that should say, 'like yourself', noooot 'like you said'

Amber said...

Yes, you are lucky to have Talented Jim. Very, very cool!

Hmmm...if her hair were, say...pink...she might look a little like...

Naw.

;)

Amber said...

Yes, you are lucky to have Talented Jim. Very, very cool!

Hmmm...if her hair were, say...pink...she might look a little like...

Naw.

;)

Annie Jeffries said...

Whoa. So much to catch up on, Laini. Jone has been filling me in on the upcoming conference when we got together a couple of weeks ago. What a job of planning and coordination. The goodies Jim has designed are really cool. I LIKE that yellow bag. Hummm.

Magpie looks like she has grown up a bit, oh heck, a lot. I jumped over to Jim's blog and loved seeing all the illustrations. Makes me want to go out and start buying illustrated stories and comix again but sheesh, could they get any more expensive? I remember buying them when they were 25 cents and bigger **sigh**. There, I've dated myself.

Good luck with WW. One of the guys I work with told me he and his wife started last night. I feel surrounded. Perhaps I need to take another look.