Monday, January 15, 2007

Day of Dragons

(Isn't this picture fun? I don't know quite what I'm going to write in this post, but it's sure to have nothing to do with this picture.)

Spent most of the day on the couch yesterday with my computer and, I must admit, a book. More with the book than the computer. And several blankets, and multiple coffees. The book was the first Dragonriders of Pern book, which I got an urge to reread after seeing the underwhelming movie Eragon last month when my niece was in town. Bluhhh to Eragon, but Dragonflight was wonderful, if you're feeling dragony.

Other things that have been wonderful in recent days:

- The short story "Sweet Pippit" in the collection Black Juice by Margo Lanagan. I won't say too much about it but that it's narrated by heartbroken elephants and is so moving I was teary-eyed reading it. If you can get your hands on it, read it.

- Children of Men. Wow. I highly highly recommend it -- click on that link to see the trialer -- even though it's like a punch to the stomach. What a grim and terrible vision of the future, and yet a fantastic movie.

Speaking of fantastic movies, I CANNOT WAIT to see Pan's Labyrinth next week when it finally opens here!!! Seriously, if you haven't see the trailer, click that link and watch it. It's so gorgeous. Can't WAIT.

Oh, and something funny I stumbled upon the other day: I was looking up Ukrainian names on Google to come up with a character name, and this one site gave all the names' meanings, which were things like "nice" and "seagull" and "lion's son," and I happened to notice that the name Eduard supposedly means slum landlord!!! Could that possibly be true??? Oh, and Yuliya means frizzy. Ha ha ha!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the links I can't wait to check them out. That picture is really cute...did you take it? What are you writing that you were researching ukrainian names for...i was intriqued as I am half Ukrainian...just curious :) Off to check out Pan's Labyrinth...

Paulette Insall ~ Reflecting Colors of the Soul said...

Oh how awesome! Such wonderful links!!! Thanks so much for posting them! Pan's Labyrinth looks totally amazing! I so gotta go see it....hmmm...can't find any info on where it will be playing here in Portland. Wonder if it'll be in any of the big theaters here? Guess I'll have to wait until it opens to find out for sure.

Bridge to Terabithia looks great too! Have you seen the trailer yet? If not, you should so check it out! :)

http://adisney.go.com/disneypictures/terabithia/index.html

Unknown said...

MMm, even though the writng had nothing to do with the picture, what a great picture and an even better post!

I love both Eduard and Yuliya by the way...what piece inspired the search for those names?

Tinker said...

Thanks for the links - I could feel my eyes get wider and WIDER watching the trailer for Pan's Labyrinth - I hope it's playing somewhere down here!
o_o

madelyn said...

Splendid photo!
I completely agree about
Eragon - lackluster at best -
"icky blech" indeed!!!
I saw Pans Labrynth - gorgeous
but horrific - beyond horrific
torture scenes -
(not for kids!!) but you
will devoir the brilliant
performances and cinematography -

i am off to meander through your
links

hugs:)

madelyn said...

jeepers - i cannot spell!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with the pan of Eragon the movie. It was like someone said, "Let's see how fast we can tell this story!" Hopefully though, you have read the book - amazing when you know it was written by a 15 year old boy. I've met him and he's very charming and personable.

Jamie said...

Heyas, Laini. I totally agree with you on Children of Men. Justin and I saw it this weekend and I was surprised by how much I liked it, how much I was touched by it. Though I was feeling a bit sad because I was wondering if anyone is imagining a positive future. And if no one is, how will we have one?

And I've seen Pan's Labyrinth and I don't know how you are with violence but I'd just like to say, be prepared. It is brutal.

I am truly shocked by the meaning of Eduard. The name simply rolls of the tongue in the most elegant of ways. What wonderful things you learn while researching!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all those great links! I can´t wait to see Children of Men!

paris parfait said...

Fantastic photo! And I ordered Children of Men on DVD from London, but haven't seen it yet.

Anonymous said...

By now you've seen Pan's Labyrinth. What did you think? I loved it, but had close my eyes and cover my ears through the gruesome parts. K