Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Starred Review in Publisher's Weekly!!!

Eek! Lips Touch has gotten a starred review in Publisher's Weekly, and it is an awesome starred review. It makes me purr.

Lips Touch: Three Times Laini Taylor, illus. by Jim Di Bartolo. Scholastic/Levine, $17.99 (272p) ISBN 978-0-545-05585-7
Taylor offers a powerful trio of tales, each founded upon the consequences of a kiss. She explores the potentially awkward conceit in three dramatically different fantasies, each featuring a young female protagonist out of place in the world she inhabits: contemporary Kizzy, who so yearns to be a normal, popular teenager that she forgets the rules of her Old Country upbringing and is seduced by a goblin in disguise; Anamique, living in British colonial India, silenced forever due to a spell cast upon her at birth; and Esmé, who at 14 discovers she is host to another—nonhuman—being. The stories build in complexity and intensity, culminating in the breathtaking “Hatchling,” which opens with a spectacularly gripping prologue (“Esmé swayed on her feet. These weren't her memories. This wasn't her eye”). Each is, in vividly distinctive fashion, a mesmerizing love story that comes to a satisfying but never predictable conclusion. Di Bartolo's illustrations provide tantalizing visual preludes to each tale, which are revealed as the stories unfold. Even nonfantasy lovers will find themselves absorbed by Taylor's masterful, elegant work.


"Masterful, elegant work." Yippeeee!

On another note, you know that poor skinny cat I mentioned the other day? Well, yesterday I took him to the Humane Society. He had Humane Society tags, so I was able to find out that the phone numbers of his owners has been disconnected :-( He really needs some looking after, so I just thought it was best to bring him back there -- they'll fix him up and feed him, and put him back up for adoption. They said he looks pretty old; I can't tell. I felt so terribly treacherous putting him in a box, though! He meowed these tiny, pitiful meows the whole way in the car, poor little guy. Our Humane Society in Oregon is awesome -- there's even a new, state-of-the-art teaching hospital on-site so staff and veterinary students can provide medical care that shelter animals are rarely fortunate enough to get. Anyway, I've got the kitty's processing number so I can call in and check on him and see if he gets adopted. Fingers crossed he finds a great new home!

And speaking of cats, does your warrior cat need some armor, by chance? If so, see this artist. How awesome is this cat armor???


17 comments:

Charlotte said...

Oh my gosh I love the cat armour!

And congratulations on your star!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Masterful. Elegant. Doesn't get much better than that! WOO-HOO.
Cat armor???It's gorgeous and I want some.

Natalie Whipple said...

Squee! You review is marvelous! I'm honestly dying for your book—it's one of two I'm allowing myself to by in the near future. (The other is Leviathan, if you're curious.)

storyqueen said...

Wow! I can't wait to read it! Congratulations.

Cat armor. Wish I had thought of it. I am picturing bands of feline warriors pillaging the countryside......



Shelley

holly cupala said...

Absolutely fabulous!!! Hugs to you and the sprout!

Cuppa Jolie said...

So deserved! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, fab review

Debbie Barr said...

That's really cool! I'm excited to read the book, it looks like it will be beautiful. :)

myrna said...

Congrats on the review. I read Silksinger last night and loved it even more than Blackbringer. Thanks for writing!

And the cat armor is awesome, but I can't imagine any self-respecting cat would wear it even long enough to snap a photo. Not that it looks like it was meant to be worn.

Amber Lough said...

A STARRED REVIEW!!!! YAY!!!!!!

And the cat armor is fantastic. I am thinking of all sorts of stories to go along with them, now.

Unknown said...

I just finished Silksinger, it was great! I'm so happy to be able to see more of their world now. I'm looking forward to even more, but I think I'll try to snag Lips Touch soon to tide me over!

Jackee said...

Congrats! You are so deserving. I'm glad to see that both your new babies (books and Clementine) garnering the stars.

And cat armor?! I wonder if they would make gecko armor. My daughter would go for it, even if I wouldn't. Ha, ha.

Red Fox Literary said...

Wow! Publishers Weekly doesn't give those stars out easily. You deserve it! Congrats!

Marianne said...

Congratulations!! Very well deserved. May this review lead to gazillions of sales so that as many people as possible can enjoy the wonders of Silkslinger and so that you and Jim take Clementine Pie on the mango eating tour of the world in celebration.

Amber said...

Yay for your new GREAT review! Awesome.

;)

missalister said...

Holy mackerel, Laini, so much going on beyond the baby! I’m here, pinging off S.R.Wood’s link. I want to see the cat armor, but I’m blown away by your site, your latest accomplishments, your sensational reviews! Congratulations!!! Oh, I’m so happy for you! And as a now aside, I chuckle at the cat armor : )

Unknown said...

We had thought of getting Oscar some cat armor back when he was in his fighting prime. My brother had sent us the link. I think he would have liked the chain mail and red the best.

oh, and brandon LOVED the rabbi's cat. I read two pages out loud to him before he snatched it away and finihed it.