Saturday, September 05, 2009

It's been a month already??!!??

Four weeks ago right now, I was in the hospital in labor. Wow. Four weeks!!! That's crazy. It feels like four days. I really should be keeping a journal so I'll remember these days better. It's so weird how they just melt away. Maybe I should start another blog, one that's all Clementine all the time, so that I don't turn this one into a baby blog! Just what I have time for: another blog! ha ha.

Not surprisingly, Clementine sleeps much better when she's being held, which has led to some interesting writing conditions:
I actually managed to get a bit done that day! She was really conked out. I couldn't reach the keyboard very well, but I mostly managed. I've tried some one-handed typing too. Really hard to get any flow going that way!

Here we're doing some "tummy time":
Her neck is getting so strong!

And today, the rain came. Lovely lovely autumn, I welcome you. As we were going over to a friend's house for a scone breakfast, Clementine got a chance to wear her pink skull sweater! It fits perfectly, and is so adorable. Thank you, Heather! Here we are in our pink sweaters:
There's a hat that goes with it:
tee hee hee!

Let's see, what have we been doing around here? Perfecting the "bounce walk." I swear, the bounce walk is in all of us, just waiting to be unleashed. We've also been dancing to 80s music. Watched the movie "Adventureland" the other day, and while the movie itself didn't wow us, the soundtrack was awesome and led to a long e-music and i-tunes listening session as Jim and I recalled the bands of our 80s and downloaded songs. That was fun! Oh, and we just finished watching Season 4 of Project Runway. We [heart] Project Runway, and you know what I liked about Season 4? How nice everybody was! I guess it's generally good for ratings on reality shows when the contestants are super-bitchy and snarky, but I hate that. What I love about Project Runway is the creativity and the beauty of the craft, not the snark, so it was great to have a mostly pleasant group of talented people being nice to each other, while still maintaining a healthy spirit of competition. Great show. And I just read a good book: The Last Summer (Of You & Me) by Ann Brashares -- it's her first adult novel (she wrote the Traveling Pants books) and I really liked it, and was somewhat startled to see what bad reviews it's gotten on Goodreads. People are so critical! Another book I read recently, a Tor fantasy paperback called Firebird was savaged on Goodreads, but I really liked it--and I don't think I'm un-critical. Conversely, I've read a lot of mediocre YA novels lately that other readers seem to ADORE, and I just think are terribly "meh." So it goes. So that's what we've been doing around here. A lot of baby-holding and baby-bouncing and dancing, some TV-watching and reading while nursing, some baby-wearing, a bit of writing (and drawing, in Jim's case), a lot of gazing adoringly at Clementine and each other. (Jim is so cute while dancing to Pearl Jam with a tiny baby :-)

Cheers!

19 comments:

Jennifer D said...

Clementine is THE cutest baby I have ever seen! Well... except for my baby :O)

Cuppa Jolie said...

Ah, Laini! She is so yummy. And, there is nothing sexier than a your hubby being the best dad ever! Sending you all lots of xoxo!

Life is Good(ell) said...

She is so darling! Have you seen the movie Waitress? I love singing "The Pie Song" to my four-month-old daughter and now I think about your little Clementine Pie whenever I do. Too bad the Pie Hole doesn't really exist. I imagine that Olive would serve up a tasty slice of clementine Ned would wipe up for you!

Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

I think you should just keep Clementine pics and stories on this site. Your motherhood life and your writing life are now joined, after all!

Darling!

Liana said...

Laini, do you know that you and Jim have an adorable elf baby?
She is just SO cute and yet has this air of whimsy already, but somehow I'm not surprised ;)

Charlotte said...

She's adorable, but when are we going to get to see her in her tatoos as Rathersting Warrior Baby???

Heather said...

Oh my word, Laini! I wish I could come down there RIGHT NOW and fill my nostrils with sweet baby scent! I'm so happy the baby sweater fits and the hat. She looks fantastic in pink (as I KNEW she would, look how good her MOM looks in pink hee hee!)

Adapting. It's what parenting is all about.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

girl just wait - my daughter just started kindergarten- it goes so fast :(

Sarah Beth Durst said...

She's phenomenally cute! And you guys sound happy. Yay!

All best wishes,
Sarah

carolyn said...

Super-cute! I love the smilin'pink skull outfit. A perfect fit, too. Well done, Heather. Yay that the weather turned before she grew out of it. It does happen so fast.

Cool that you're finding your own workin' mom and dad routine. Sounds like you're getting a lot done, and having a great time! (Of course.) Awesome.
Love the pictures.

lkmadigan said...

She is just so adorable! I can't wait to meet her in person.

I will always be happy to see Clementine posts!!

We didn't have blogs back when my son was born (cue old timey music) so I kept a paper journal. I don't write in it very often now, but I think someday he'll enjoy reading it. Even if you can't get to a keyboard, a handwritten journal is always available. :-)

Lisa

Amber Lough said...

She's a month old already? WOW. You are doing amazingly well keeping up with your writing and not melting into a sticky pot of mama glub, which is too easy to do.

Have you read Catching Fire? I hope that's not one of the books you thought was "meh" --- I couldn't put it down.

~Molly~ said...

you need to put doll baby alerts when you post such adorable cuteness!!! She's just precious in that skull ensemble!

Molly

Camille said...

I can't believe you can write, one handed or not, only 4 weeks after Clementine's arrival. I was pleased just to string together a coherent sentence.
I bow to you.

This is your journal. Keep sharing here! It is so much fun to read.

Ah, sniff, sniff, those were the days.

Stephanie Perkins said...

The picture of her in the pink skull sweater? Squeee!! So adorable!

And I agree with Marissa. You MUST sing Clementine the pie song from Waitress. Too sweet!

Anonymous said...

You know what? She has beautiful, deep blue eyes, like aquamarines.
Just like Magpie. ;)

Amber said...

Okay, so in all my years of working childcare I always said that some babies are "bouncers" and some are "rockers". It is true! Either they love the bounce or the side to side rock. People thought I had "baby-whisper" skills, but this is the secret...You can't rock a bounce baby, man. ;) (Wyatt was a bouncer, Georgie was a rocker, not that you need to know. lol)

How much do you love the Boppie, huh? Those things make life so much easier.

I need a good book. I am reading a "meh" book right now. And other people loved it! Maybe it will get better.

;)

Amber said...

Oh, and I so agree about PR. I hate the mean people. Georgie and I watch that show together-- she looovves it.And she has great feedback, too! lol! I wonder if she will be a designer when she grows up.

:)

PV Lundqvist said...

So. Much. Hair. My baby's three months and he just has peach fuzz.