Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Donkeys & Pie

I didn't get a chance to put up these pictures last week, because of the dash to get ready to go to Seattle (we went to Seattle twice in one week, with the class I spoke to last Tuesday and then going back up for the conference; it's only about a 3-1/2-hour drive, but you know, it adds up). In going to the Seattle SCBWI conference, we had to miss the Portland one, and one of my favorite editors was here to speak at it. Luckily, she was able to come in a day early, and we went to meet some donkeys :-)

This is me with Abigail Samoun, of Tricycle Press.

She's in the acknowledgments of Blackbringer because she was so pivotal for me in the writing of my first novel. We met at an SCBWI national conference (in LA) some years ago (4, maybe?) and she followed up with me after, expressing interest in my faerie art. She asked if I'd thought of writing a story to go with the characters (who were Magpie, Poppy, and Whisper) and I answered that, in fact, I'd begun a mid-grade novel. She offered to take a look at it (eek!) and I sent her the first 6 chapters . . . and she liked them! She wanted to see more. So . . . I had to write more.

And that, I think, is why Blackbringer was written. I mean, why I was able to deal with my issues with perfectionism and finish it. Her feedback was always wonderful, and she has this incredible knack for offering editorial feedback that never put me on the defensive, but just made me think, "Yeah, she's so right." Really: amazing. A couple of years passed as I worked on it, and the book was eventually published by another publisher (Putnam), but Abi was a huge part of the process.

THANK YOU ABI!

Anyway, we went out to Apifera Farms to meet her blog friend Katherine and Katherine's donkeys, who as you see from the first photo above, love pie.


Lucky for the donkeys, Katherine makes a mean pie. This is not a "donkey pie" per se, despite its little decoration, but the donkeys did get to enjoy some, and so did we:

Yum!

Um, my battery is in red again, so no time for links! Heh, I don't mind an excuse to skip links :-)
Cheers!

15 comments:

Commander Kip said...

Awww, look at the cute donkey faces! *hugs* They're adorable!

Amber Lough said...

Yum!

Christine Fletcher said...

What I love best about donkeys is how they're so cute and yet so strong-willed. Come to think of it, that's what I like most about cats, too. And my boyfriend. Hmm.

And pie...mmm, pie.

Natalie Whipple said...

That's such a great story! But aren't all stories with donkeys great? I think so.

I'm glad she got you writing, because from what I hear Blackbringer is amazing. I'm going to buy it for my little sis (10 yrs old) the next time I'm at the bookstore.

tone almhjell said...

I would most certainly give them pie.

Rampian said...

I love the pose with the hip jutting out. So glamorous.

Laini, I knew from the first paragraph of 'Blackbringer' (back when it was called, egads, 'Fairie Friends') that you were an extraordinary writer. I feel very proud to have been there early on. And will be proud to show my wee grandchildren years from now my name in the acknowledgments of such a magical book.

persnickety_jen said...

I can't imagine what it'd be like to know someone who actually OWNS donkeys... And donkeys who love pie, no less!

Hooray for serendipity! What a rush it must've been to have an editor ask to see your manuscript before it was finished! Nerve-wracking, sure. But thrilling, too!

Heather said...

You're looking very, um, PREGNANT!

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

It was nice meeting you, Laini- Pino googles himself, what can I say, and there he was on your blog. We enjoyed having you and Abi out to the farm and so glad you could come. Cheers from Apifera.

Lady Arin said...

Donkey's and Pie! The're so sweet! Whish I could have donkey friends and feed them pie!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness. Katherine from Apifera Farms is Katherine Dunn? Author of Geek Love? One of my most favorite books ever. Ever.

And she has beautiful donkeys. And pie. I'm so jealous.

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

Oh Lord please don't start that rumor again- common mistake when I first moved to Portland town. No, I am KD2 and she is KD1...we have that joke. She's a nice woman, and we were introduced and became friends. She's bought my art though, and is often asked, "So you're painting now too?"...and no, I do not share her email with anyone, just a little FYI.

Sarah said...

Oops...my mistake. I just saw the name and assumed. I did look at your art on your sites and it's all very lovely.

I'm still jealous of your pie, though!

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

It's ok Sara! Come out June 21 to Pie Day...OK, I'll stop now, taking over Laini's comment section!

carolyn said...

Donkeys & pie! What a combo.
Does Apifera celebrate pi day on March 14th? We always have pie, on pi day. Next year, with donkeys...?