Sunday, January 13, 2008

Zowee! Jane Austen bonanza!

If you don't already know about Masterpiece Theater's Jane Austen extravaganza, then check this out: months of Jane, every Sunday night at nine -- starting TONIGHT. FOUR new adaptations (Persuasion, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, and Sense & Sensibility). The famous Colin Firth P&P will show, as well as Kate Beckinsale's Emma, in addition to a movie called "Miss Austen Regrets," in which an almost-forty Jane helps her niece find a husband.

Persuasion kicks it all off this evening, and stars the very Britishly-named Rupert Penry-Jones (from MI-5) (pic above). Funny, Matthew MacFadyen from MI-5 played Darcy in the Kiera Knightley P&P, and now Rupert Penry-Jones is playing the dashing Captain Wentworth. (If you haven't seen MI-5 by the way, awesome spy show).

You can see clips of all the upcoming movies at pbs.org, HERE.

Good old Masterpiece Theater also has a new Room With A View coming later in the spring. And while I don't know why that needs to be remade, since the Helena Bonham Carter version is perfect, I haven't read the book in like fifteen years and perhaps there's a good reason to remake it. Who knows? I shall certainly see it.

I also heard a rumor that Gillian Anderson is now hosting Masterpiece Theater; don't know if it's true, but I will find out tonight. I love Persuasion, and the clip looks very promising! If ever there was any reason for an ongoing girls' TV night, this is it. (Jim, who pretends narcolepsy at the sight of Regency-era costumes, will be watching a "revenge movie" at a friend's house. He will, however, want me to tell you that he is actually very sensitive and loved the most recent Pride & Prejudice, as well as many other fine "costume" flicks.)

Check your local PBS affiliate for programming. Yippee! (If you miss it tonight, Persuasion is replaying Tuesday, at least here on Oregon's public broadcasting.) Oh, and interesting note -- the actress who plays Anne Eliot in Persuasion, Sally Hawkins, is the daughter of two children's book authors (but I don't know who; the article doesn't say!).

15 comments:

Amber Lough said...

I'm just as thrilled as you are about this! I've already told Jim that I'm watching it...he'll probably watch over the top of his laptop. It's at a good time, too, just after Elizabeth goes to sleep.

Happy watching!

Fletcher of the Day said...

Hey There Laini,

I've seen the Jane Austen Adaptations on the BBC and I have to say that I LOVED persuasion. It's my second favorite book after P&P anyway and I loved the movie, but I really enjoyed it.

BTW- Sally Hawkins parents are Jacqui & Colin Hawkins.

Big Kiss to Jim!

Lori

Liana said...

I wrote this down in my little planner so I wouldn't forget! I recorded Persuasion last night :).
Yay!
Austen fans, unite! :)

Amber Lough said...

I have to admit I haven't read Persuasion yet (I started it once, a few years ago), so I had no idea how it would end. Yay! It was gloriously exciting! I was literally on the edge of my seat, and Jim even put his book down for a while (he's reading The Golden Compass, finally).

Amber said...

Thank you, because now with the strike, it is a good time to have something good to watch. Right now we are watching The L Word on DVD, from season one. But I think I could use a little mix up, between that and the news. lol

By the way, did anyone watch the shows that won the Goldeb Globe for best shows?? I never even heard of them! Were we just out of it??

:)

andalucy said...

so laini, what did you think of 'persuasion?'

Claremont First Ward said...

I've participated in a few Sunday Scribblings and wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed doing so. I never watch TV, so thank you so much for the heads up about the PBS Jane Austen Bonanza. Since I'm in the Portland area too (West Linn) I didn't even have to check around for re-runs (since you already mentioned Persuasion will be on tonight). My next stop is my library website to reserve your book. Can't wait to read it.

Holly said...

Blast! Still vexed that my peers' fondness for professional sports leaves me without my Austen fix (only one TV in the dorm). I want me some Wentworth...

Anonymous said...

Oh, how delightful to know I am in good company with being thrilled to bits about this Jane Austen extravaganza! Did you notice they dropped the "Theatre" from "Masterpiece Theatre"? I'm not sure what that is about. I have just a few days left to finish Northanger Abbey, which I've not read before and want to before I see the film version.

Happy OPB viewing!
Bridget

holly cupala said...

I just finished Shannon Hale's Austenland and am definitely in a Jane-ish kind of mood! In that teeny tiny picture, he kind of looks like Jim. :)

Holly

Anonymous said...

I am so there! As soon as I can download them. Curse our TV-free home! (REally, it's awesome, until PBS up and decides to have a Jane Austen fest and shake it temptingly in front of your nose.) I was really hoping to see some ALA lovin' for your book though, Laini. Curses again. Perhaps in Portland we can muse about it and put ourselves into an immensely satisfying sugar coma.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, just saw what you said, Holly! Thank you. What a coincidence that I posted beneath you. Don't you make me feel popular.

Annie Jeffries said...

So glad I saw this post. I'll be checking out what is showing on Sunday. Hope to see Gillian Anderson there.

Camille said...

I am going to watch each and every one but I have to say, I was disappointed in Sunday's Persuasion. I loved the 1995 version with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds so much. The screen fairly crackled with lost love, sexual tension, and new hope. it seemed to be the most romantic of tales. The new version was...ok but did not hold a candle to the earlier one.

I cannot imagine a new Room with a View. If it is filmed in Florence, the scenery should be worthwhile at least.

Oregon Regency Society said...

I enjoyed this Sunday's Emma. I hadn't seen that version yet; however I found mostly all of the prior adaptations vastly disappointing, especially the one with Billie Piper... What a joke.

I am interested in seeing the new Sense & Sensibility. We shall see if anyone can be better than Alan Rickman as Brandon. ::sigh::