Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Liar's Diary

Next week it will be two years since I started blogging, and one of the first blogs I discovered when I learned how to blog hop was Patry Francis's, Simply Wait. I still remember feeling a little thrill of excitement when I discovered that she and I were both anticipating the release of our first novels, and both from Penguin Books, no less. Even better: her book, The Liar's Diary, was coming out a few months before mine, so I got to read about all her experiences ahead of my own. It was like a primer on what to expect!

Besides the books, however, I just fell in love with Patry' blog. If you read it, you know she has a way of appreciating people, family, memories, and even rounding up meaningful obituaries in a way that is a celebration of life. Reading her blog, her soul just shines through and you always come away feeling as if you've been granted a glimpse beneath the veil of something that may seem ordinary at first glance, but really has a magical shimmer all its own.

It was a joy to get to throw a book party for Patry when she did a West Coast tour last year. Here's THAT POST, complete with a wonderful photo of Patry with a glass of wine in hand! Well, the time has come to celebrate Patry and The Liar's Diary again, for two big reasons.

--First and happiest: The Liar's Diary comes out in paperback today!!!

--Second, and less happy, and I'm not sure if I should mention this or not but I'm going to because I hope you will read her recent string of posts: Patry has recently been diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer, and is undergoing treatment, and needs the support of the whole blog and writing community.

Before the release of the book, Patry used to blog regularly; after, her posts dropped off significantly -- I believe it was because she was hard at work on another book. In any case, I checked her blog less and less frequently, growing sadly accustomed to not finding new posts. At once point, there was a post about baking your muse a blueberry pie for many months! And then in the fall, I happened to check back. I saw a whole bunch of new posts and at first I was excited! And quickly, my excitement turned to dismay, and then sadness, as I began to read them. But, as all her posts, they are just beautiful.

A group of bloggers and writing friends of Patry's decided to make a concerted effort to get the word out about The Liar's Diary today, on its release day, and lots of folks have joined in, so I wouldn't be surprised if you find more posts about it elsewhere. I even saw it mentioned on Publisher's Lunch, the publishing industry email business update! I'm so glad to see folks pulling together like this, and I send Patry all my blessings for health and happiness and book sales!

You can read more about The Liar's Diary (and perhaps purchase it) HERE.

Have a wonderful day!

6 comments:

Q said...

Oh no! That's so terrible! I will add that to my ever-increasing list of books to read, and I hope her treatment works out! I am sure she has a lot to offer the world!

Jone said...

I posted at Deo Writer.

Amber said...

This is a wonderfully warm and supportive post.

:)

Anonymous said...

you are beautiful laini.
i wish the very, very best for patry.

xegbp said...

This is a wonderful idea. I was fortunate enough to meet Patry when she came to Chicago she is wonderful and the "Liars Diary" was fantastic, I read it in two days!

Patty Palmer said...

Love your blog. Just came across it recently...oh, and I especially love love your art!
Thanks for sharing all your thoughts.