Thursday, April 06, 2006

Garden Ladies


These are some of the final manufacturer's samples of my Laini's Ladies Garden line that SHOULD be in stores next month, fingers crossed. Yay! There are garden stakes and wind chimes, and some smaller indoor pot ornaments that will look great in house plants. All are printed, die-cut metal with bells and beads, and they're so cute. I can't wait to see them in stores and in actual gardens! This part of the process is always exciting, but it takes a while to get from the design stage to the stores, and I've had to learn to tamp down my enthusiasm in the waiting. Not just with Laini's Ladies, but with illustration projects, and with my book especially. There's always plenty of work to be done in the meantime and lordy lordy time passes SO FAST it's scary, but one gets used to not letting their enthusiasm run away with them... and well, personally sometimes I fear I will squinch it down too much and not be able to find it when I'm ready for it! I'll be rummaging frantically in closets saying, "Where the *#$%@ did I put my enthusiasm!?" But... I always find it. I hope I'll always find it. It just won't burst open like shaken champagne. It will be more subtle, like a smile you can feel all the way down to your toes.

There was the moment when I finished my book. When I got to the last page and typed "The End." I felt fairly calm as I wrote that page, knowing just what was going to happen, already having known for many months what the last line would be. So when my left middle finger typed that last 'd' on The End and I felt a tremendous rush of emotion and tears, it really caught me off guard! As is my way, even though I was alone in the room I tried to compose myself, to freeze my face and keep the tears from coming, I don't know why. My face got hot, a few tears squeaked out, and then I felt this incredible contentment settle over me. I had done it. I think it's good to take my excitement at those moments that ARE under my control: my work, the making of it. What happens after that, the big process when other people come in, other teams of people in other states and even countries, that is so beyond my control. The moments of enthusiasm that come after, they will be serendipities, like feathers falling from birdless skies. I can't predict them, so I won't try to guess or ration my excitement, but just keep working, with an ear out for the arrival of the UPS truck and the boxes of goodies like these!

26 comments:

Amber said...

I LOVE these! I would love to buyone, too. I am in California, so are they going to be all over?

You have such a way with words.

sara said...

These are so amazing! I would love to buy a few for the wonderful gardens of the wonderful ladies in my life -- my mom and mom-in-law, specifically.
Hope I can find them when I move back to the US in July -- I'll be looking!

kristen said...

Oh they are beautiful! I've been wanting a wind chime; most of them don't appeal but I know a lainie's lady would. Where will you be selling these delights??

Rampian said...

They're beautiful Laini! One will have to keep my oregano company. It was wonderful to read about you finishing the book. There's such accomplishment in finishing something, making it complete, beginning to end. It's so easy for artists to get lost in the process, abandoning something mid-way for the next sparkling idea. How well I know that experience! There's joy in the process, certainly (and frustration!), but finishing has its own flavor of joy and it's quite sweet. I wonder: Did you miss the world you'd created? The characters?

Kim G. said...

They are so lovely! I can't wait to recruit them to guard my roses and dahlias from the hungry slugs and aphids! I know their stunning beauty will convince the critters to move on down the street to find other less lovely plants to munch!

Keep us updated where and when we can find them!

Powpourri said...

These are so fun! I cant wait to see them in stores! I need to get out to your shop and order some of your things for Mothers Day. My mother would love your little ladies!

I am excited to hear about this book. Any details on what it is about? Is it a story-type book or an art how-to type book. When can we buy it?

How frieken exciting for you! You are just amazing!

Brandi

Deb R said...

Your latest ladies are lovely, Laini! (I'm on an alliteration kick!)

Swirly said...

Very well said. You have to do your best work and let go of worrying about what might sell or what this person or that person might like. Congratulations!!

jojo said...

Congrats! lovely lovely. I love to read your thoughts and recollections. Wow I cannot even imagine that feeling of finishing a book... to see your work... words... come full circle. Other people, other states, and way beyond peeking in how scary but oh how exciting!!!

Fletcher of the Day said...

Garden Laidies? Why didn't I know about that when I placed my order??? Ah yes, they weren't out yet. Well, I am getting my garden in order (my current project)...They look like they would fit perfect in the my gand design plans (which, I suppose you will see some day...sigh).

They look beautiful Laini..I'm so proud of you!

Lori

Anonymous said...

Hey you wrote a book!? That is awesome.

(I am new to your site) but I'd love to know more about your book. What is it even called? Is it fiction?

Your garden people are cute and I want to buy some for my aunt as a housewarming gift. Where do I get em?

Anonymous said...

Your ladies are adorable. And I adore this line: "...they will be serendipities, like feathers falling from birdless skies."

Anonymous said...

LOVE these!
a.

Alex S said...

If those are sitting where I think they are-to the right of the front door?-I'm on the way right now! (They're beautiful!!!)

hollibobolli said...

Oh my gosh, I can only dream of writing a book - I just can't wrangle my thoughts.. so I think making it to the point of "the end" would bring me to tears also. Congratulations - you must be so proud of yourself.. and it's so deserved!!!

Are those garden ladies going to be available online??? They're fantastic!! Link if possible.. please!!

Claudia said...

All your Ladie´s are amazing...they must come to Europe to bring some sunshine to our Gardens here. I think I´ll start an import business so I can sell them here for you! You really can be proud of your achievements and the "real life" that you lead.

kellie said...

Hooray for you! How exciting and wonderful. I can't wait to hear more about your book! I so enjoy reading your posts!

Jaimie said...

I love your garden ladies! I stumbled upon your site randomly when reading posts at another site. You mentioned sticking a needle in w's eye and that got me charged up. so I visited and I'm glad I did. By the way, your husband does amazing work.

Holly Loves Art said...

Oh... they are just wonderful. You know my mom loves your work - so she will be thrilled with these for her amazing garden. They are so special. Congrats to you and best of luck! Holly

Letha Sandison said...

These are beautiful!!! Will they be available on your website as well?? I would love to get one for my new garden and for my mom.

You are such an inspiration to me, you do so much and manage so successfully to get your art OUT THERE!!! I am in awe, really.

I am struggling to make ventures "out there". I am not good at self promoting and am really shy about showing my art. I have been strictly painting for the last few years (which is not helpful if you are a natural introvert as you can just hide in your studio only coming out for openings) and am only now beginning to think about doing illustration and products etc...I love to do so many things that don't fit into the work that goes into my shows.

You have so many things going books, illustration, products, writing...and seem to manage it all with such grace and perfection...HOW DO YOU DO IT????

Serious congrats on all your success!!

jojo said...

hi laini, happy friday!!! and have a great wknd... i am so looking foward to sunday scribbles! yeah!!! Ciao

meghan said...

hi there!

I've had that moment. That moment of putting the last letter and the last bit of punctuation onto the last page. There truly isn't a feeling like it in the world. I am excited about the prospect of other people getting involved and I am deeply inspired by you to get my ass in gear and make that happen! But there is always that feeling that - no matter what - you did it. That will get you through anything!!

vicci said...

I will be getting some of these wonderful new products!!!! Love them.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh i love these! i cannot wait to see them in person!
that moment...of writing the last word on the page...i can't wait to one day have that moment...and to know there are other people out there who will understand. i love the way you describe it laini. you are right back there with your words. thank you for sharing that moment with us.

Rebekah said...

Your work is so full of wonderful word pictures - not to meantion the actual pictures. It's a treat and a "filling up" to visit you here at your blog. Many congratulations on the Garden Ladies. I can't wait to see them in the stores, and I will be on a quest to find them, for sure. I'm with Marilyn, that line was priceless!

Unknown said...

What a lovely idea! A garden stake and wind chime all in one! Congratulations on your new book:) I wish I had the determination to finish one :(