Sunday, December 06, 2009

I [heart] Shiny Brites!

I was slow in coming to love Shiny Brites. It's only been the past few years that I've started buying a few old ones here and there, sorted in little crinkly bags at craft fairs or antique malls. And I've learned that once you start you can't stop! I'm of the school of thought that there cannot be too many ornaments on a Christmas tree, and my "theme" is: no theme! My theme is: put it on the tree! Yesterday I went down to Sellwood (cute little antiques neighborhood of Portland) with Jim and Clementine and my parents and I added some more scratchy imperfectly perfect old Shiny Brites to the collection. As soon as I got them home I realized I'd been way too skimpy and saw a million more places around the house in need of Shiny Brites. So I might go back.



We'll see.

11 comments:

Jennifer D said...

Those are wonderful!

I just read a blog post this morning about Shiny Brite, thought you might like it.

http://goldcountrygirls.blogspot.com/2009/12/shiny-brite-cluster-trees.html

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I snapped up all my mother's shiny brites when she wanted all-new, all-red ornaments. I also found a boxfull once in a flea market in New Orleans. Love them!

Heidi Ann said...

I love them, too - and your photos are beautiful.

lizardek said...

I didn't know they were called Shiny Brites! What a great name! We had a ton of them inherited from my grandmother when I was a kid...unfortunately a lot of them have broken over the years but the ones that are left are so treasured.

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

This is bad-I think this post about Shiny Brites has gotten me addicted. I really want some on my tree now!

My tree this is always put every ornament I like on the tree! This year, we have a small apartment, so I got a mini hot pink tree-I love it!

Megsie said...

I never knew they were called shiny-brights either. They are so beautiful. I will have to check out some antique shops and find some!

storyqueen said...

Our tree theme is the same....get it on there!!

Your photos are amazing. I think I can see your reflection in the red ball as you shoot the pic.....so cool!!

Shelley

Elena said...

Beautiful photography, Laini!

tone almhjell said...

Ooh, they look just like the ornaments my grandmother used to have on her tree. We'd celebrate Christmas with her and lots of other realitves on the family farm. Magical. By the way, your photography classes are really shining through, sweetie!

Deirdre said...

Ha! We have the same decorating theme. Anything goes is the best style! I think we still have some of the awesome old glass sparkle globes and bells from when I was 5yrs old. Do you put electric candles in the windows?

anne said...

These are the sort of beauties we had on our trees when I was small, in fact, the one w/the flower "cut-out", we had that one exactly! they all lived in a cardboard box w/ dividers to keep them separated...and the flocking on them (snow) was always fun to touch!
now we hang shiny brites all over the library (youth services) from bits of ribbon or fishing line, nice decorations to see, and no worries as the kids can't touch them.