Thursday, October 09, 2008

Baby Vampire Bats

You know what's cuter than those McCain supporters in that last video I posted? Baby vampire bats! They're pretty cute, aren't they? Don't you kind of want to cuddle them? Even if they grow up to look like this:
Did you know that vampire bats are one of very few mammal species who are known to adopt orphaned young, and help feed less fortunate roost-mates? Isn't that awesome?

I've been getting ready for my presentation tomorrow at the Oregon/Washington school librarians' conference -- it's on "what I do in a school visit." When I heard Cynthia Lord speak at the SCBWI conference back in April, she recommended doing this kind of talk, so here I go. I looked at the conference schedule today, and there are so many great presentations going on, I just hope I get an audience. My talk is called "Pink Wigs & Caterpillar Poop." Hopefully that will pique some interest! I see a couple of Northwest writers I met at the blogger's conference will be speaking too, including Christine Fletcher and Deb Lund.

By the way, I added a new "Earth's Greatest Hits" today. It's creepy-cool parasite stuff. Check it out HERE.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your presentation will be awesome! See you soon.

S R Wood said...

I used to call my little sister Bat Baby. OK, I still do. She's 26. Good luck on the presentation!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

bats and scorpions? I am obsessed with the platypus right now - did you know they are venemous? Good luck this week speaking! Just joined kitlit - heard about it from your blog so thanks! :) shelli http://faeriality.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, I've been away so long, I didn't even know you had an Earth's Greatest Hits blog - cool! Just saw a bat swooping around in the backyard a few nights ago - and though I think they're wonderfully amazing - and I'm glad he (she?) was cleaning up some bugs for us -- I have to admit, at the same time I was just as glad he/she kept his distance...batty love from afar!

Anonymous said...

Random comment, but THANK YOU for using "pique" instead of -- the horror! -- "peak" or, worse, "peek". Little pet peeve of mine. Do you want to join me in my crusade to rid the world of this insufferable lashing of our language? ;-)

Chris Barton said...

Retroactive good luck on your presentation, Laini -- I hope it went well!

Linda Sue said...

These are the CUTEST I adore bats! So smart and caring and CUTE! I Adore your blog- came by way of Kendalee painted lady...What a great blog find you are! Right on Girl- a question, which side of the family do you get such gorgeous hair...

Alandre said...

I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com