Thursday, December 13, 2007

December what???

Look, Persephone got a Santa hat. She's happy now, sitting under the calendar as the days tick past. I think, actually, that she might be having an affair with the crocheted elf in the kitchen. Ah, old elfie, finally found love. I've had him for like twenty years (more? I don't know. My grandmother made him ages ago), and as far as I know, he has never known love. But I could be wrong. For all I know, by night he is wooing the marionettes. Or the devil nutcracker. Your guess is as good as mine.

December thirteenth. I ask you: how did that happen? Last time I looked up it was still October. Yeesh. I have managed a few Decembrish deeds. Baked some gingerbread. Spice is pretty:
Got our Christmas tree:
Picked out the first one we looked at, and it was perfect. I'm not one of those people who has to look at twenty-five things before choosing one. I like to get in and get out. No agonizing. We even bought the second house we looked at!

As for the book, if you're wondering, it's in this weird place of sort-of finished. I'm combing through it now, making it editor-ready, filling in some scenes hither and thither. My editor has not yet read a word of this book, which of course makes me very anxious. In fact, he probably knows less about it than folks who read the interview at HipWriterMama. It's not because I don't want to tell him. I've resisted sending him part-way drafts because, for one thing, I'm sure is busy, and for another, I want him to read a finished draft with a mind wholly uncluttered by the detritus of earlier drafts. My mind is SO cluttered with could-have-beens and sacrificed chapters etc etc.

Happy December 13th!

16 comments:

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Good luck with the book finishing (frankly i can't wait to get my hands on it ... so hurry up pLeASe.)

Big snow storm just started here so I'm going home early ... to KNIT. Happy Dec. 13th!

Vivian Mahoney said...

So cool that we may know more about your new book than your editor...for the time being, anyway.

Thank you again, Laini, for being a wonderful interviewee. You did awesome.

meghan said...

YAY!! Glad to hear it's doneish!!

keep it up - you're almost there!!

rilla jaggia said...

You FINISHED the book!
Hallelujah! So all my pep talks worked, huh?
As for the elf in the kitchen, it's time to meet my lonely elf. She is really cute... made by my mom when I was a wee one and discovered by me all alone in a box on this last trip home. Peeky sure needs the company too.

Anonymous said...

Hi L!
my name is Ruhie n I am from Kenya!i have been poring over yr blog with mad happiness!
I hve always dreamed of writing and this last week was just about to give up on that dream, when Blue Poppy's blog led me to your 'Not for Robots' blog!
It was a huge sign!
You have inspired me so much!
You are alredy my hero and thank you so much for helping me e-realise my dream!!
Cna't wai to get my hands on yr books!!
Thanks for making my life!
R

dawn said...

woo woo!
guess who's here but hasn't posted.
great news! wish *i* could say I'd finished writing my book, er, dissertation.
congrats pinky! xoxoxoxo,
da rev

Kim G. said...

Laini! Woo hoo! A big shout out on being very nearly done with the book. Congrats on that great accomplishment! I have been reading your posts and enjoyed the interview and book review from earlier. We also went to see "Golden Compass" opening weekend and Natalie quickly digested the book last week and agreed that the book was far superior (although we enjoyed the film also). I'm in line to read it next and Nat's looking for someone who has the 2nd book that she can borrow! She'll be glad to hear Silksinger is making progress as she's excitedly waiting to read it (after me of course!)

Sustenance Scout said...

Persephone looks very merry, Laini! I'm sure the old elf is, too. :) CONGRATS on your draft and happy revising! K.

Tinker said...

Maybe Persephone and Elfie are meeting under the mistletoe? No wonder her eyes are so merry and bright...

I love the smell of gingerbread baking - it's the best thing ever.

Great interview, Laini. Happy writing!

Alex S said...

I would invite Persephone over to stay with me for the holidays only it is just as boring and work-going over here unfortunately. I will be over in just a moment however to pick up some cookies and gingerbread. I can only assume that you have some waiting for me I hope. If not, then roast me a turkey or something like that. Either way get busy.

Anonymous said...

This is an anonymous warning. Put up a new post on the pronto or risk a mayonnaise-filled knuckle sandwich. The people aren't going to stand for this.

Anonymous said...

There is a triple decker bologna knuckle sandwich just being finished up with your name written alllllllll over it.

Amber Lough said...

Ok, you win the brownies. Which do you like better---ooey gooey or cakey?

I am hoping to finish the draft by Christmas... I can't write 6,000 words a day. How do you do that? I write for an hour and have 1,200 or so words and am proud, but sheesh! 6,000 to 9,000 a DAY? Wow. At that rate, I'd be finished, well, tomorrow. Or the next day.

And then comes the next task: how to make it all make sense.

Merry Christmas to both you and Jim!

Alex S said...

Piping hot knuckle sandwiches are flying out of the oven right and left- duck your head Fatty!

Sustenance Scout said...

Hate to do this to you with the threats flying around (!) and your incredible workload, Laini, but I gave you an award which, of course, involves feedback and further nominations etc. etc. etc. SO please feel free to put off your reponse as long as you like. But also feel free to accept the "A Roar for Powerful Words" award because you certainly deserve it!! K.

Obiuser said...

i'loved to website this is very very nice
obat penghilang cegukan terus menerus tradisional