Wednesday, May 10, 2006

5 things: 1 fun, 1 appalling, 1 lovely, and 2 I defy you to tease me about:

Thing 1 (FUN):
My long lost friend Kristy B found me by accident through a google search for something else and left a comment on my blog! That's us in the photo, on the first day of first grade in 1976 in Virginia Beach. I'm on the far left and she's next to me with the cute little Dorothy Hamill haircut. That's Catherine on the right, and my brother behind us. We lived three houses in a row on a cul-de-sac beside a lake. We all moved in the summer of 76, and away the summer of 80. Kristy's family moved to Saudi Arabia and I still have their Christmas card from that year, which features them with a camel! We haven't seen each other since we were nine years old, though our parents have sporadically kept in touch so I knew that she and Catherine both have two children, a boy and a girl each, and live on the East Coast. So it's GREAT to hear more about her -- she's been blogging for a few years and her blog is funny! She's got a whole special archive detailing things eaten by her dog, and I couldn't stop laughing. (hi Kristy!)

Thing 2 (APPALLING):
Jim was delighted recently when we were rewarded at the movie box office with 2 free iTunes coupons. But when he tried to redeem them later online, he discovered that in order to use them he would have to first register with the ARMY RECRUITING OFFICE!!! I've heard plenty of desperate, underhand recruiting stories lately (including recruiters knowingly signing up an autistic 17-year-old who needs help getting dressed, and excluding his condition from his paperwork!), but this is slick and horrible, and I am truly appalled. But not surprised.

Thing 3 (LOVELY):
My dad just emailed me a lovely bit of writing called Desiderata, by Max Ehrmann (1927), and in it were these words: "You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." And I love the thought, but then I can't help but wonder if we humans aren't trying to prove how powerful we are by interfering with that natural unfolding of the universe's plan. Aren't we mighty?

Things 4 & 5 (I defy you to mock me!)
First, I just read a Harlequin Romance without even realizing it! It tricked me with its respectable cover and trade size; it's from an imprint called "Luna" and I just thought it was fantasy, and it basically was, as it turned out. It wasn't juicy or bodice-rippy, and it was pretty good! It seems pretty clear to me the author, Rachel Lee, is in love with Aragorn from LOTR, and wanted to write a book about a character like him. There were many similarities, but it didn't bother me the way some LOTR derivatives do (Eragon, anyone? Oy, what a piece of c___!) because I love Aragorn too, and also because this is a great thing about being a writer -- being fully alert to what you love in a book or character and then being able to incorporate that into your own writing, in your own unique way. (If this idea intrigues you, stay tuned to Sunday Scribblings this week.)

Second, I am unashamed to admit I am going to see the cheesy gymnastics movie "Stick It" with Kelly tonight! We're both former gymnasts and secret enthusiasts of cheesy dance and sports movies, so we can't wait. The husbands will be slipping into another theater to see MI-3, but I think they should PAY for something else, then go in to see MI-3, and in that way not contribute to Mad Tom's Scientology Piggybank.

22 comments:

Kristy said...

That picture is hysterical. Funny thing, I remember that day clearly.

The picture I have of you, me, and Catherine (on display in my house, believe it or not) depicts us in our hot 1970's halter tops. I call it "The Three Belly Buttons".

As far as mocking you -- well, I'd be mocking myself, too. Although I'm not lining up to see "Stick It", I must sheepishly admit I've seen "Bring It On" far more than the less-than-once it merits.

Deb R said...

1. Love the pic! How cool that you've reconnected with your old friend.

2. That's beyond vile. Gggrrr...

3. Yep, lovely.

4. Oooh, I'm intrigued by the Sunday Scribblings hint.

4. I love those kinds of movies. Not in the same way I love watching a Jane Austen story unfold on screen or a wonderfully quirky indie pic, sure. But those sorts of dance and sports movies appeal to some aspect of my personality (we won't analyze which part) and I watch them all. I totally plan to see "Stick It" at some point and if someone wants to mock me, well then Bring It On. (pun intended...heh)

PS...I think the hubby's plan is excellent!

Shari Sherman said...

I love, love that quote from Desiderata. I'm going to make something with that on it for Leila. How beautiful! Also, what a great pic from grade school. Especially cool is your Holly Hobbie lunch box (probably worth a small fortune if you still have it) and those great little cardboard pencil boxes. I don't think kids use them today, but those were great...like opening up a little treasure box of supplies.

lizardek said...

My brother sent me Eragon and highly recommended it. I can't get past the first chapter. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Now to figure out how to wiggle out reading it without him getting offended. :P

Rampian said...

Wow, you DO have a Hollie Hobby lunchbox. Sharp eyes Shari! I had a set of Hollie Hobby stickers which I refused to stick on anything, but would play with like paperdolls.

Since you admitted to going to see 'Stick It,' I'll admit to crying at 'The Cutting Edge.'

Amber said...

That is so serendipitous that your friend would find your blog like that after all those years! Wonderful.

Sunday Scribble, what could it be.....?

:)

Kim G. said...

How fun to reconnect with your friend! I'm going to my reunion in July and look forward to catching up with old friends. Those wonderful memories seem to grow more precious with the passing of years.

Enjoy the flick! I'll admit that I'm hoping to steal away on mother's day to go see a mindless movie. We'll see if I can get away with it! :)

kelly rae said...

and it was a silly movie! with funny break-out-into-random-dancing scenes and an actual message about scoring the routines. i'm so happy i found someone to go to silly teen flicks with me!

Caroline said...

1 - what excellent fun! And what a great picture - how old are first graders? (not the system I was brought up in)

2 - appalling - that sort of low trick is straight out of tales of British press-gangs conning people into accepting the "king's shilling" - though 2 itunes seems rather cheap! - what does registering with the army recruitment office actually involve? Is it something you can get away with giving a false name for?

3 - Lovely thought

4 - Aragorn was one of my early loves too... though having to compete with an immortal ready to give that up for him is a tough competition... what was the name of the book? And that hint is intruiging, guess I'll have to wait...

5 - no comment ;-)

hollibobolli said...

I have got to use my sister's scanner and scan some old family pics. That one of yours is just too cute!!

My GAWD - what about the poor souls that actually redeemed that coupon and enlisted????

I like Lifetime Movie Network when I'm depressed.. I call it "white trash made for tv movies" and I can watch it non-stop when I'm alone and blue.

Anonymous said...

1. You have the sweetest smile in that photo!!

2. My sophmore year in college a senior woman gave me her copy of desiderata and I have kept it close ever since. The whole thing is memorized and I don't even know my phone number.

3. You and Kellyrae at Stick it! Wah-- am jealous-- in a good way.

~bluepoppy

Swirly said...

I love that picture! What a fun thing to re-connect with an old friend! And I'm with you on sneaking into Tom Cruises's new movie - he's gotten entirely too weird.

M said...

What a great post! I love "Desiderata"- I used to have it on my wall at home. Nice to rediscover it.
My mom and sis saw "Stick it" and thought it was pretty funny! I love your idea of your men paying for another movie- brilliant!! No need to give Tom anything more, really.What good is he doing with it?!

HoBess said...

So glad to be catching up with you ... I especially took some teary inspiration from your post on conferences. After justbe I think I'll have the fortitude and finances to attend a few of those. After all, by the time I'm in Mass., Mr. 5 will be Mr. First Grade at school all day! And let me know what you think of the gymnastics movie, they've plastered Ms. 8's gym with posters but the promos I've seen don't make it look like something for an 8-year-old.

P.S.--I love your idea for the boys' movie admissions!

meghan said...

Hi there!! Desiderata is one of my all-time favorites. I like the universe unfolding as it should bit too!

And I just had to tell you that i laughed out loud when you wrote about Mad Tom and his scientology piggy bank - we aren't going for just that reason, but you captured the reason better than I could!!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

have to second meg's reaction - i laughed out loud too. i am right there with you...i refuse to see that one in the theatre (but i imagine jon will add it to the netflix queue in a few months).
can't wait to see the SS prompt!

Claudia said...

You´re APPALLING story is also UNBELIEVABLE!!! And yes, it seems T.C. has really gone mad!

GoGo said...

Fun. I am intrigued by the Sunday Scribble comment. Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

"With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, the world is still a beautiful place."

That one line got me through my first year as a college graduate.

Yummyteece said...

OH.. .that first paragraph is so lush and yummy.... I would definately read those books.

hooray for magic, for gypsies and travels, adventures on camels and kisses from mermaids.

Not only was your description captivating.... but it made me remember the book "Tales from the Enchanted Isles".... a VERY old book that my mother used to read to me as i would lay down to sleep at night. I haven't had that memory for a very long, and it seems terribly fitting (on Monther's Day) that along with calling her and telling her i love her.... you have reminded me to thank her for the wonderful imagination she fed in me.

rania said...

awesome that you've connected with an old friend! that pic is really cute.

but that itunes/army story is just SO appaling and unbelievable! it makes me want to move to canada! or anywhere! maybe into one of your books!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I totally want to see "Stick It!" My 8-year-old niece who's a gymnastics nut could barely contain her excitement when they began showing previews on TV. :)