Saturday, January 01, 2011

Home at last, and: HAPPY NEW YEAR!


Well, hello there. If you are seeing this, thank you for stopping by after my mysterious disappearance! I meant to post that I would be traveling in December, but the post never got written, and I can count the minutes I've been near a computer in the past month on one hand! But I am back! Back from, to be specific, Morocco and Italy.

Morocco:









Italy:









More on that to come. Much more! But right now It is 1-1-11. New Year's Day. I love me a new year. I like to think of New Year's as the "Emperor of Mondays." Mondays, I know, are not everyone's favorite day of the week, but I love Mondays. For some reason, Mondays have always felt like clean slates to me, like . . . new notebooks. You know? Like a fresh etch-n-sketch screen. The feeling is: begin now.

Whatever it is, BEGIN IT NOW.

On New Year's, that feeling amplifies a millionfold. I am massively excited about 2011, for many reasons. 2010 was oh so good to me, a life-changing year, a holler-with-joy kind of year, a pinch-me-I'm-dreaming year. What will 2011 hold? Many more firsts for Clementine. Talking! Wanting to pick out her own wonderful mismatch outfits. Continuing to become her little-person-self. A new book to write! And one to shepherd to the shelves, a process filled with anxiety and glee. Jim's and my 10th wedding anniversary, this June. Ten years of marriage, the very best of marriages. From art school parking lot to a gondola in Venice, up to Portland, Oregon and creating our little Pie, not to mention our books, and more on the way.

Gratitude. Looking back, looking ahead, I am filled with it. I love New Year's. Clementine is napping now, hopefully getting over jet lag (we were all up in the middle of the night eating pancakes, which -- hey! -- was not so terrible!), and enabling me to crack open my computer for the first time in a month. I haven't gotten to email yet. Oy, how I hate the junk that daily clogs my inbox. Will tackle that next.

I am feeling an urge to totally overhaul this blog and really dig into it this year. It has become a bit ... thin ... of late, and I don't just mean this month. I have ideas of how I'd like it to be, and I think I might begin again, a whole new address, a fresh sidebar and banner, a clean start. Maybe. If Clementine naps a while longer :-)

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I am so happy to be back home!

18 comments:

Jay Asher said...

A very inspiring post, Laini. Thanks for sharing your gratitude and those beautiful photos with us.

Happy New Year!

Colene Murphy said...

Wow! Incredibly pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Natalie Whipple said...

So amazing! What a trip! You really did have a great year. Wow. Here's to many more:)

Catherine Denton said...

Welcome back! Your pictures look magical.

Dangerous With a Pen said...

Wow, lovely! And what wonderful family memories. :) Looking forward to hearing more!

tone almhjell said...

I missed you SO much! Thank goodness you're back. Can't wait to hear more about your travels. That photo of Clementine in Moroccan silks just kills me!

I have to say that Monday is my favourite day too! It used to be my least favourite, but then I quit my job to become a writer, and now... I love it. I love new years and new weeks and new writing days <3

Brad Fallon said...

Welcome back! And Happy New Year!

Stephanie Perkins said...

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, I AM DYING FROM THE PRETTY.

PLEASE FEED ME MORE.

MORE MORE MORE.

MORE!

MOOOOREEEEE!!!!!!

Stephanie Perkins said...

Also: HI.

Stephanie Perkins said...

Also: I MISSED YOU.

Stephanie Perkins said...

Also: ALSO.

alvina said...

Oh, WOW WOW WOW!!! Such gorgeous photos. Welcome home, and happy new year!!! There's a lot in store for 2011.

Amber said...

So happy you are all home safe and sound, and looking like you had a WONDERFUL time!

:)

Evie said...

"The years tell us much what the days never knew."
--Emerson

Congratulations on your successes, and looking forward to future ones, because if the years are good to you they're good for your fans :D

Love the Clementine sandwich pic, and her on the camel with dad. And you look supremely happy and colorful (my husband loves your pink hair.)


I won the auction! YAY! Go me. I sent emails, before I realized you were away, but all that business has been worked out.

Glad everyone is home safe and sound.

deowriter said...

Hey, welcome home! It looks every bit as wonderful as imagined.
Thanks for the inspiring post.
Cheers,
Jone

Tinker said...

Glad to see you back! Wow - what a fabulous trip! I love the photo of all of you on camelback - also the one of Miss Clementine in her colorful scarf. So cute!
Happy New Year to you all!

Off to check out your new blog...

The Writing Instinct said...

I do not think I have seen a cuter face in a long time - your baby Clementine is simply adorable in her pink scarf and embroidered vest. Thank you for sharing your holiday pictures - they are stunning.

All the very best to you and your family,

Mervat.

sewa mobil said...

Very nice, thanks for the information.