Thursday, July 10, 2008

Berry Day (& the Silksinger winner!)

This morning, checked another thing off my squeeze-summer-into-one-week list: pick berries! Jim and I went with my parents to Sauvie Island and picked blueberries and raspberries. It was so lovely. The weather was perfect, there was barely anybody there, berries were plentiful. Just lovely. You see, we picked a few:
I'm not sure what I'm going for in that photo -- am I guarding the berries, or am I gearing up to eat them in one gulp? I only know my mouth is very open and it is very flattering! Here's Jim, much more civilized than me (and with far, far fewer berries, poor lad):
Tonight for dinner we had huge portobello mushrooms and corn on the cob, and for dessert I had been planning to make a cobbler but the berries are too perfect to bake, so we just had berries with frozen yoghurt, and it was wonderful. I love summer.

On the matter of the Silksinger prize pack [of work], the winner is: Nerd Goddess!!!
Yay, Nerd Goddess! That will go in the mail to you tomorrow, and I really look forward to getting your feedback. Thank you! Thank you to all who entered -- your emails were wonderful, and I'd love to send it to ALL of you, but all that photocopying really adds up! I will do another drawing for some galley copies when those come out. I do plan to email everybody to say thank you, but right now I am exhausted. It was hard work eating picking all those berries!

Leroy says goodnight too, from his particularly crooked position:

12 comments:

Heather said...

Oooohh.....dontcha just want to SMOOCH Leroy?

Deirdre said...

The berries look delicious. Fruit and yogurt is my favorite snack/dessert.

I'm now known (in my house at least) as the Plum Queen - fifty six jars of jam made and five large bowlfuls picked early this morning. Oy.

Anonymous said...

Mmm...raspberries! ^_^ My most favourite of favourite foods! Yum! I'd love to go berry picking.
Congradulations to Nerd Goddess. She'll be the object of my greatest envy for a while. I'll try to pay more attention to wicked awesome contests like that!

Amber Lough said...

Yay Nerd Goddess! :-)

I'm jealous about berry picking--so so so want to go! When I was little, we lived in Maine for a few years and had blueberries in our yard. Now I'm a berryholic. I've got a can of sour Oregon Cherries I'm about to crack open. (Not quite berries, but, well, good enough.)

Debbie Barr said...

Mmm, those berries look good!

And I still can't believe I won! It totally made my day, and I'm super excited to read it and give you feedback! :D

meghan said...

I am going to see if I can send you my Mom's recipe fro strawberry freezer jam - it's the yummiest jam ever & it tastes just like fresh strawberries!! It does the berries justice!

XO

Anonymous said...

Oo look at all those berries! Lucky you - and lucky Nerd Goddess too...
Leroy's position may be "particularly crooked" - but somehow he makes it look so comfy - what cuddly looking guy~

Q said...

You really can't bake berries until they start to turn, but I made a berry cobbler with frozen berries once and it was amazing. I am jealous of your fresh berries. I love berries and rarely get them so fresh and lovely.

Oh my gosh congratulations Celes!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Those berries look so delicious! And congratulations on finishing your second draft! Wahoo!

tone almhjell said...

Hello, Laini!

Missed you :)

I've returned from California and Fiji and Hong Kong to utter chaos and am tackling it all by having a cold.

Will blog as soon as I no longer feel like Andrea Gail on the slope of that wave.

So glad you finished Silksinger! Very, very well done!

Hug.

Amber said...

Oh GET OUT! Look at all those yummy berries!! I would love that. Those are my favorite foods, berries.

:)

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice place you've got here. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Best regards