Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Days like this




Some days as an artist are more rewarding than others. There are the days that most of us know, days when it seems like our work will never see the light of day, that sending submissions to publishers is like dropping an envelope off the edge of the world. There are days when it feels incredibly self-indulgent to think that we, of all people in the world, deserve to follow our fancy and have satisfaction in our work. Days when no one is telling us to keep going.

Then there are days like this, when the universe seems to be saying YES. Keep going. In the mail today I received samples from two different licensees, of two of my different product lines that are coming out into the world. One had the Laini's Ladies desk calendars for 07 which will be in stores in the fall, these first samples fresh from the factory and they're gorgeous. I adore them! Next came the box of faerie greeting cards and they, too, are just as perfect as I could wish. I love these days, when proof of my art's journey through the world comes back to me!

And it doesn't only come in boxes of 'shwag' -- more importantly it comes in emails and comments. Thanks to Erin for her wonderful comment to my last post. I LOVE hearing stuff like that! It validates everything to know that I'm connecting with unseen women out there leading their own rich and gorgeous lives. And Liz Elayne, thank you too for the incredibly touching email last week. To know that my art strikes a chord in people's hearts, it makes me feel so warm and lucky. And to have found this forum where I can connect with some of those people -- it's great. Thanks for all the beautiful words of encouragement from everyone. In turn I encourage you all to keep putting your art in the world because after all the hopeless days, there ARE days like this!

19 comments:

meghan said...

Beautiful! I WANT one of your calendars. Laini, this is all so exciting! I am so happy for you that you are seeing all of your hard work and perseverence (spelling?!) come to such a beautiful completion. Your art is a real gift to the rest of the world!!

Thanks for the reassurance, as always you are so inspiring!!

hollibobolli said...

Me too!! Me too!!! I love your art and if something "comes out" I want to know!!

I love visiting your blog - it adds so much color to my day! I would absolutely buy a calendar!

Anonymous said...

Laini, They look wonderful. In which stores will they be available? Specialty stores or can we find them at the ubiquitous Wal-Mart.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

That is so great! Congratulations! And they do look wonderful!

There are so many days when you just wonder why the hell you thought this art thing was a good idea. Thank you. Your words are so encouraging, and it's always good to know that you're not alone in all this. Thank you.

Shesawriter said...

Your work is just FABULOUS! I love looking at it.

Tanya

kelly rae said...

i'm so going to buy one of your calendars. they're gorgeous!

Frankie said...

OH LAINI!!! I'm in love with your calendars! I'll be lined up outside the stores in fall (PLEASE keep me updated about where I can get them!!). I'm so glad all of the art appreciation you so deserve is coming back to you. You are AMAZING!! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is some awesome stuff there girl! Way to go.

By the way, I tagged ya!

Tinker said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations! I'm so glad you're receiving such wonderful validation from the world for your beautiful work. Can't wait to see it in the stores! :>)

andrea said...

I love blogs that discuss artist's careers and this looks juicy! I'll be back!

Misty Mawn said...

wonderful & beautiful work! I just love the frog holding the teapot!!! The calenders are awesome! Congrats!

Best wishes!!!

Aithbhreac said...

Laini - the calendar is fabulous! I only wish it was out for 2006. Your success is a true inspiration and I wish you many "days like this".

Swirly said...

How exciting!! I couldn't believe it when I saw your cards in the photo - just a few days ago I did an illustration of my girl riding a hummingbird!!

Patry Francis said...

The calendars are gorgeous. You shine!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

These are fantastic. Nice to know the calendar I will have for next year (and be able to give as gifts).
So wonderful to have a day like this when you see another dream become reality. And yes, yes, yes you are touching people around the world with your art. Beautiful.

Claudia said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!Love those calendars!
Will they be available here in Europe too? Glad all your hard work and talent are getting out there.

Anonymous said...

Congrats and I too adore the calendars. Excellent work,
Be proud! They are wonderful.
a.

Alex S said...

I can't wait to come over and see them today! Ths is all your hard work of many years coming back to give you a big hug! Its so fun each time I find them in a new store, whether its in Ashland or Powells at the airport or on Burnside or out in Multinomah Village. They are so familiar to me now I almost want to talk to them and greet them with a big hello, half expecting them to reply!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I'll be keeping an eye out...
I love the Eleanor Roosevelt quote~ I once scratched it around the side of a swirly slide with my car key. It was at the most questionable park in town, and I wanted the kids who play there to see it. :)